Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3G to lan ?

Hello,

I recently subscribed to a 3G internet connection. It works at high speed on my mobile (htc tytn, hsdpa, theoretically 3.8 mbit), but as I prefer to use this as my phone/pda (for which I have a different subscription), I often use my previous phone (nokia 6260) as internet modem.... but it only supports up to gprs (54 kbit).

Are there (relatively) cheap alternatives to connect to a 3G network?
    On the linksys site, I noticed there is a router that accepts a vodafone live connect card as its wan connection. I don't have such a card (and getting it + the router is quite expensive). Are there 3G to utp bridges (that use the simcard directly)?
    My htc can act as a bluetooth access point and share its internet connection over a bluetooth pan. Are there other phones that can do this? or better still: that can share over wifi?

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You could set up an internet connection on a laptop with a phone, and then use that to distribute to a LAN...

Bulky way of doing it, but would work.

I can't see any phone being able to do this, unless modded software i.e. Linux based.

look for a Linux phone mod...?
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

haven't read it yet, but the title is very close...

edit: the comments look good. And the Linksys router mentioned WRT54G3G Wifi router, that has a 3G (SIM?) Card slot if you're not going to be 'mobile'.
      PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
      Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
      +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I'll just continue as I'm doing now... perhaps I'll swap the phones, and use the tytn more as a pda... dunno...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
        X