Anti Helium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Helium

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Great!
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Sadly, the gas used is pretty expensive; more so than helium.

(Sulfur Hexafluoride, if my English-chemistry vocabulary treats me right).

~~DukeP~~

Comment

And I guess there's no place where it is considered waste?... :/ (my highschool physics teacher used to organise trips to uni research facility...which is located in backyard of low temperature natural gas refinery = free liquid nitrogen and helium (bring yout thermos! :> Or play with bucket filled with liquid nitrogen :> ))

Comment

Using SF6 for stupid things like this is TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE This gas is not only one of the most stable chemical compounds that exists with an atmospheric residence time of about 20,000 years, it has THE highest Global Warming Potential of any other known compound, of the order of 24,000 times worse than CO2. Multiply that by its residence time and you can see that even 1 kg lost during these stupid games would have a significant effect, not only for us, but for future tens of generations.

SF6 is a very useful gas dielectric and is also used for plasma etching silicon. The IPCC/Kyoto guys have requested users to minimise emissions and here we use the stuff in emissive amusement of the public. I would guestimate that the tank in the video contains about 1 kg of the gas, equivalent to 24 tonnes of CO2 emitted every century for the next 200 centuries or so. An average mid-sized car will emit 2 or 3 tonnes of CO2/year, as a comparison. Great fun - NOT!

Edit: If a kid got hold of the gas, he could easily suffocate if he took in a good lungful: it is >6 times heavier than air and his diaphragm muscles may not have the strength to expel sufficient gas that he can take in oxygen at the next breath.

Edit: Corrected 20 to 200 centuries
          Last edited by Brian Ellis; 2 August 2007, 05:56.
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

So, 1kg of SF6 = 240kg CO2 / year for a 2 thousand years?
            Sounds like a scooter to me.

Comment

24 tonnes over 200 centuries = 4,800 tonnes = 1,600 - 2,400 mid-sized car-years: not bad for making Jay Leno look like a hoarse fool for a few seconds, is it? As I say, irresponsible.

Sorry for the missing zero.

Comment

Dont worry about the zero, Brian.

THose are only REALLy important, if you work with thermonuclear processes.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

In other words, if AQ went ahead and produced two metric tons of this gas, releasing it to the atmosphere, what damage would is cause?

According to your calculation, that'll be ~4,000,000 mid sized cars. Equivalent to another small country. Not that big..
                  So let's move on and say they manage to produce 40 metric tons, that's more impressive at ~80M cars. Given 10 years, what are we going to see?

If you're right and it's all that bad, any group/cult/whatever that believes in martyrdom or the end of the world would love to produce a hundred ton or more of this stuff and wait 5 years for a massive effect.

Comment

Its not that easy to produce...

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Let's discount the paranoia of AQ. Just look at US production alone of SF6, about 1,100 tonnes/year. As a guess, world production is probably >3,000 tonnes.

Comment

Check out the funniest flashback from Preston and Steve's Science Day 2007- Fun with Sulfur Hexafluoride!The Lowest Voices on RadioPreston & Steve on 93.3 WM...

It seems to be quite popular...

edit : not too many tho

could be a lot more with Leno and the publicity.
                        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

if it is such a heavy gas, how does it make it to the atmosphere to cause global warming?
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

/meow
                            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                            Asus Striker ][
                            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by Tjalfe View Post
                              if it is such a heavy gas, how does it make it to the atmosphere to cause global warming?

Yeah I was going to ask the same thing... it appears to be substantially heavier than air and sinks to the ground. Even if it gets stirred up and dispersed in a room or outside, wouldn't it just sink anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X