Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buggered InstallShield

Hey guys,
    Dunno if anyone can help, but whenever I try to install something that uses the InstallShield installer, it takes AGES (like 5-10 mins) to get to 100%, then it can take anywhere from 5 mins to over half an hour before the actual setup program appears. My PC isn't that slow! (PII@515mhz) and I haven't got a lot running in the background that afaics (As far as I can see) might affect it in this way. Like no virus checkers.
    Anyone?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"The chances of anything coming from Mars, are a million-to-one", they said.

Check the status of your Level 1 and Level 2 caches. Maybe they're disabled.

Comment

Hi,
      What you might want to do is close all of your TSRs before running installations or setups. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and end all tasks listed except for the Explorer, Systray and any important app. that you absolutely need to have running.

These TSRs taks chew through the CPU's resources.

EvEeRy OnE hAs ThE rIgHt To Be StUpId, BuT tHiS iS aBuSiNg ThE pRiViLeGe...

Comment

Check the status of your swap-file, Steve.
        Is it still on, is it big enough, is windows taking care of it, and do you have enough space on your HDD for the swap-file??

Jorden.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

I've loads of disk space, my cache is fine. Infact, my PC runs spot on apart from this.
          Hmm, it seems to be possibly related to Outlook, and/or the creative's AudioHQ thingy.
          Nevermind.... it's one of those things that bugs me, but I just can't be arsed to do anything about.

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

Comment

Yup, it's Outlook 2000. Odd - close that and setup flies through. Load it, and it takes forever. Nothing else is effected by outlook though. Damn computers, why are they so illogical?

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

It's not computers...

Just email Bill... and ask him

Btw, ask him as well not to send all Win2k persons with a G400 to ask forgiveness here

Jorden.
              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Steve beware,

Outlook keeps a log of everything you install, download or run.
                This Log file is very well hidden on your HD (actually the only file that is using the new MS "Stealth" technology).
                Everytime you log on to the Internet, the changes in the Log file are sent to the MS user database for evaluation.

If you have done something which is not MS approved or certified, they will force install a IE plugin that causes your system to freeze every now and then.

During these freezes, the IE plugin is collecting more incriminating evidence from your HD so they can sue you to the full extent of the MS law.

Pertti

Comment

Good old Bill.

------------------
                  aka Chris H

Comment

I thought WINdoze did that all by itself.
                    or should that be

Mark F.

------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a CD

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                    --------------------------------------------------
                    OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
                    and burped out a movie

Comment

Working...
                    X