(Jessterw) don't wait for Motofone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Jessterw) don't wait for Motofone...

Like few MURCers I like my mobile phone plain and simple...still holding to my old Nokia 3510i (even slight overkill for me...though sometimes I want to have, still simple, phone with mp3 and camera).
    I considered replacing it (it's partially broken duo to misuse - "2" doesn't work) with Nokia 1100 or Motofone...but now when I tried the latter (it's available here for some time) I think I'll end up with Nokia 1100.

Thing is...most people I know seem to agree that old style Nokia menus are among the best when it comes to ergonomics/ease of usage. It's similar for me - first mobile phones I came to contact with were Siemens and Ericsson, but they were a bit weird and awkward to use. When I tried Nokia, I was simply able to pick it up instantly. Sony and Motorola were/are in my/overall opinion, also a bit weird and awkward. Mind you, not very horrible, that's not what I mean. Just...lacking in this regard in comparison to Nokia.

But Motofone...oh boy. It REDEFINES the meaning of "hideous interface", simple as that. A bit sad really...great tech underneath, good looking, fabulous display...wasted on interface which is borderline useable. It's like if they tried to make it in a way that it will be unable to compete with "main" phones...basically it is good only for calling if you type the number every time (yes, even phonebook is weird). Even SMS are unuseable...basically due to wasted potentiall of the screen.

(Jessterw) if you don't have acces to Motofone, on Youtube there are few videos...

So it seems Nokia 1100/1101 (what for is the added WAP in 1101? It even doesn't have GPRS...) is the best choice in "cheap & simple" category...perhaps it doesn't look great (OTOH has that old look of Nokia phones ), but it's perfectly useable (I should know, somebody borrowed one to me for a week or two). (note: 1110/1110i/1112 are...made unnecesery more complicated - why they have four-direcion keypad when up-down is great with old style Nokia menus?; oh, right, they had to make them more similar to current tech models...)
    Last edited by Nowhere; 26 July 2007, 12:51.

I use a Sony Ericsson K610i. While not "bare-bones", it's just a (good) phone with camera and mp3 player (and bluetooth, UMTS, yada yada..) and up to 1 GB memory (Memory Stick M2). It can work as a USB stick when connected to computers (no drivers needed), syncs with iSync, has good battery life, is smallish and OK looking. There are a few thing I liked better with the Samsung I had before (the calendar, quick access to functions), but this phone really just works; I don't even notice the stuff it can do that I don't use.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
    X