Sharing a USB drive in XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing a USB drive in XP

I have sharing for a USB drive turned on for all users but can't get it to work. The network is all XP Pro sp2 save for one XP Home sp2 which is the one with the USB drive. Any ideas?

Frustrating
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

can you access other shares on the same PC?

Comment

Never knew you can share a USB drive. How is that done?

Comment

Doc,
        What happens when it doesn't work?
        Cant see the share, no files etc?

I tried an experiment at work and shared my key fob just fine with my office mate.
        Both computers are XP Pro on a domain.

Maybe XP Home can't do it.

I'll try it at home where they are all workgroup computers, but still all Pro.

PS @DJ Just click share this folder when explorer opens the drive after you connect it.

PPS My Key Fob is FAT32 not NTFS. I suppose that could also have something to do with it.
        Last edited by cjolley; 24 July 2007, 08:22.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thanks but after I posted I realized I was interpreting Doc the wrong way. I actually thought for a moment he was suggesting that you could use a USB drive as a NAS.

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus View Post
            can you access other shares on the same PC?
            Yup, no problem with the other shares/mapped network drives and I set up the USB drive the same way. It shows up in the shared list in the network path, you just can't explore it. The error says;

Attempting to map it as a network drive gives only the second error with no reference to permissions.

The error message on MS's site (KB177078) relates to a key;

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters\IrpStackSize

that doesn't exist on XP Home & creating it with the recommended value doesn't help

Basically I put our family photos on it so everyone on the network can access them but still have it portable if it needs to be taken to the "out of nest-ers" homes.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 July 2007, 09:30.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

How much free space is available still on the drive. It's mentioning server storage space. I know network servers start showing STRANGE errors and behavior if you run low on space. Also are you using simple sharing? if so can you turn it off and do it normally? If so remember you have to change permissions both for sharing and security.
              Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
                How much free space is available still on the drive. It's mentioning server storage space. I know network servers start showing STRANGE errors and behavior if you run low on space. Also are you using simple sharing? if so can you turn it off and do it normally? If so remember you have to change permissions both for sharing and security.
                The share/security settings used on that drive are identical to those for that systems RAID5 and its other shared/mapped drives.

The USB drive has >130 gigs free and the boot drive has >40 gigs free. Don't think that's a problem
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                  ... The network is all XP Pro sp2 save for one XP Home sp2 which is the one with the USB drive......

Could you plug it into XP Pro machine? Home can access Pro no problem, but the other way around....... ???????

There are some permission settings missing for sure.... .

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

You may need to change the drive letter to one that was not shared before. Maybe change to drive X to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                      Yup, no problem with the other shares/mapped network drives and I set up the USB drive the same way. It shows up in the shared list in the network path, you just can't explore it. The error says;

Attempting to map it as a network drive gives only the second error with no reference to permissions.

The error message on MS's site (KB177078) relates to a key;

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters\IrpStackSize

that doesn't exist on XP Home & creating it with the recommended value doesn't help

Basically I put our family photos on it so everyone on the network can access them but still have it portable if it needs to be taken to the "out of nest-ers" homes.

Doc, I just went thru that issue on a 2000 server here at work yesterday! The key was not in the registry here either. BUT further reading on this topic showed a value of 20 (not the 11-14 mentioned in the KB) did the trick for most with this issue including me.
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters\IrpStackSize = 21 decimal did the job here.

Thx.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                        X