Gasoline vs natural gas cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gasoline vs natural gas cars.

...A gasoline gallon equivalent (gge*) of natural gas costs an average of 15 to 40 percent less than gasoline or diesel. Propane requires 1.38 liquid gallons to equal an energy-equivalent gallon. It is necessary to multiply by this factor in order to be compared to gasoline and natural gas. *A gge is the amount of fuel that propels a vehicle the same distance as a gallon of gasoline. An equivalent gallon has been defined as 114,000 BTUs (lower heating value), which is the same as regular unleaded gasoline.....

Is there a simple formula to calculate the $$$ difference if the price of NG is so and so per Cubic FT(or M) and gasoline is so & so per Gal(L)?

Thanks.
    Last edited by ND66; 18 July 2007, 12:31.
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

I suggest no. Why? Because, if you fill a reservoir with CNG, it would depend on the pressure. The only reasonably accurate way would be to do it on a weight-to-weight basis, not on a volume-to-volume one. Even so, the calorific value of methane per kg is constant, but that of liquid fuels varies a lot from batch to batch and season to season.

The metre is m (not M) and the litre is l, not L!!!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post

The metre is m (not M) and the litre is l, not L!!!

I know, I just wanted it to stand out, be more noticeable.

Honda will start selling NG Civic in October 2007 and talking to someone we tried to justify the extra cost over standard Civic. Like how much the gasoline would have to cost to catch up with the price difference and start saving money.

Civic GX NGV

Comment

Wouldn't a Honda dealer want to help with that? I also don't think even if you could compare energy values etc. directly, that you could calculate savings from that, because NG probably has less taxes on it, etc.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
          Wouldn't a Honda dealer want to help with that? I also don't think even if you could compare energy values etc. directly, that you could calculate savings from that, because NG probably has less taxes on it, etc.

Maybe.... .

Comment

That looks the same as my car!

Have you thought about the Civic Hybrid? There is a comparison here. It is 2 grand cheaper for comparable equipment, almost the same power and slightly lighter to compensate the difference, has a good 10% more torque, is a LOT more economical in fuel, even if NG is cheaper per joule.

I'm very happy with mine, although my mileage is slightly poorer than the published figures just now because the aircon/climate control has a hard time of it when it's 40°C or more outside. I think it will come to the EPA limits when the ambient temp is down to the 20s.

Remember that NG, when viewed holistically from the wellhead to the tank, is more polluting than other fossil fuels.

Comment

I'm just not sure how the batteries would hold up in our "Windy City" winter environment.

That’s why I’d prefer if the “batteries were not included”.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much, they have an 8-year warranty!!!! They will probably be better there than in our +40°C environment. Ask other hybrid owners!

Comment

When the day comes...... .

I still have 1~2 years of a good use of the car I still have. I'd be throwing my money away if I got rid of it now. But the next one will be on the greener side...... .

Comment

Working...
                  X