Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn Win2K, does it mess with current NTFS drives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Win2K, does it mess with current NTFS drives?

I loaded the RC2 of Win 2K along side all my real data. Unfortunately, my b/u is about two months old. Opps!

My question is, does Win 2K mess with the NTFS sig? I tried to run Diskeeper 4.1 and use the "Boot Time" directory defragmenter and it worked before Win 2K, now after Win 2K it gives an error about the NTFS partition.

I loaded the latest version of Diskeeper (5.0 for W95,W98 and NT 4.0WS)and it has totally rendered my copy of NT 4.0 WS useless. It blue screens at a "abnormal termination of logon process" and I have to reset the system.

Anyways, attempted to "upgrade install" my current NT 4.0 WS so it would boot again, and my NT install CD says it has to reformat my NTFS partition because it is "unformatted or damaged." Funny thing, I can see the partition and all the files from Win 2K.

Does anyone know a workaround or a way to back out the changes Win 2K made?

P.S. I am really not this stupid, just got too excited about getting my hands on RC2!!!

------------------
    ABIT BP6, 256MB PC100 RAM, dual 366 Celerons oc'd to 550MHz, 3DFXCool 66mmLx60mmWx69mmH Lil Mofo h/s fans. Marvel G200 PCI, Canopus Pure3DII, 3COM 905B NIC, Buslogic FlashPoint LW Ultra-Wide SCSI, SB16 ISA. Segate Medalist PRO 9.1 GB UW SCSI 7200RPM, Maxtor 20.4GB ATA66 7200RPM 2MB Cache, 8GB tape b/u, IDE 32x CDROM, SCSI 4xwrite/8xread Panasonic CD writer, 4 more various 2GB SCSI drives.
    Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

I'm afraid Win2k has upgraded the NTFS on your drive to v5 which NT4 cannot touch... there's not much you can do AFAIK....

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

PS: Some or all of the above message may be wrong, or, just as likely, correct. Depends on what mood I'm in. And what you know. ;¬)

Comment

Thanks Steve.

Drat! Teach me to be over anxious and not follow prudent steps (i.e. backup). I will make a huge zip file and copy to another drive under Win 2K, then I will load a fresh copy of NT 4.0 SP3 and recreate and reformat the drive in Disk Admin. Finally, I will extract the zipfile and then DELETE WIN2K!!!

Another question, what version is my FAT32 now??? Did I screw that too? :>(
      Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

Correction to Steve's post. NT4 can handle the updated NTFS if you have service pack 4 or 5 on NT4. I had my system at work running that way til I got figured that I never booted into 4.0 because I liked W2K so much.
        P4 2.53GHz, Intel D845PEBT2, 1GB Ram, G400 Max, Adaptec 19160 running, 2 Maxtor 18GB 10KRPM HD, Toshiba 40/10 SCSI DVD-Rom, Plextor 32/12/10 SCSI CD-RW, Seagate 80GB Barracuda IV, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Viewsonic G790 19" Monitor

Comment

Working...
        X