It finally happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened

You know those guys that buy up new stuff and then sell it on ebay expensive?

With Iphone they seems to have miscalculated since apple seems to have made Iphone in enough quantity

iPhone Not Quite the Cash Cow eBay Sellers Were Hoping

Couldent have happened to nicer people
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Because Apple had 3 million units ready at launch and most apple/at&t stores were restocked within 2-3 days. That and most people had enough sense to realize the iPhone is not worth the money, howver cool it is.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

in itself the Iphone might be worth it's price, with all of AT&T's requirements its not.

BTW, wtf is up with mobile phones in the us??

they still seems to be stuck in the darkages.....
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

A lot of things in the US have started to look that way. We're still a hotbed of technological advances, but you wouldn't know it by looking around your average American city.

The largest problem with mobile phones is that the carriers have been dictating the terms rather than the handset makers. Apple and a few others (that happen to be carriers of sorts as well) are starting to buck that trend, but they're the exception to the rule. So we have devices that cater to the carrier offerings instead of the carriers rolling-out offerings that take advantage of handset capabilities we see everywhere else.

This, of course, is true for Internet access here as well. The providers have dragged their collective feet at every transition to faster 'pipes'.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
          in itself the Iphone might be worth it's price, with all of AT&T's requirements its not.

BTW, wtf is up with mobile phones in the us??

they still seems to be stuck in the darkages.....

Having spent 9-years working for Sprint Nextel, the reason is simple: "What phones will make me the most money?" A lot of those high tech phones that Europe and Asia have won't sell to the average US user. If a telcom can't push a million units of a phone model, or several hundred thousand of the big ticket phones (like the iPhone, the HTC Pocket PC jobs, etc.) then they simply will not sell them. If you look at all the US providers they have 2-3 business PDA phones, 2-3 phones that are designed to be popular to the masses/hip crowd (Blackjack, Q, Katana, RAZR, Sidekick etc.), and the rest are cheap cheap cheap, nearly disposable phones that the average Joe will buy, because the average Joe just wants to make a phone call, text a lot (for the youngsters), and maybe take a picture or two.

So while someone like Nokia may have some stellar phones for Europe, if a US company thinks they are too expensive and won't sell a lot of them, they won't invest in it. That and three of the major US players don't use GSM, namely Sprint, Alltel and Verizon, which all of the Europe and most of the Asian phones are. So a lot of the big phone makers don't want to spend the R&D budget on making CDMA versions for a few of carriers in the US and Japan. And the GSM carriers in the US simple don't want to take the risk on the high-end phones that are not designed for business applications, or are not the iPhone.

Comment

It wasnt really technologically I was refering to when I said "darkage", it was the way the telcoms behave

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
              It wasnt really technologically I was refering to when I said "darkage", it was the way the telcoms behave

Oh, well, that's EVERY US industry...except banking and financial! Movies, music, phone, internet, electronics, everything. The companies are so controlling and money grubbing that even in highly competative markets, such as telecom, no one has to worry about being outdone by the other guy because everyone is equally as stingy and greedy. Alltel and Suncom are the first mobile phone company to offer something new in the way of plans, but they are small players that relatively few do business with. I would probably switch to one of them, but being a former employee of Sprint I get a killer deal on my phone service still (trying to keep peopoe from switching carriers).

I call it the "Ivy League Mindset." It needs to go away.

Comment

Working...
              X