HULK: Cineform Neo HDV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HULK: Cineform Neo HDV?

The Cineform Neo HDV is said to convert HDV long GOP MPEG-2 files into more editable .AVI files that can be used in any Windows NLE, including Studio or any of the Corel applications.

I'm now looking at this: http://www.cineform.com/products/NeoHD.htm

As for my old standard definition Panasonic VDR-M30 MPEG-2 files, I'll just convert those to DV .avi and accept the transcode quality loss.

I sold my Panasonic VDR-M30 many months ago; I've just kept the files I recorded with that camcorder.

What I'm really wanting to do is use my AVCHD camcorder's files.

The Cineform Neo HDV product supposedly includes a software tool called "HDLink" that allows one to convert AVCHD files to more editable .avis:

I hate the idea of transcoding taking so much time.

I also hate the idea of intermediate files consuming massive amounts of hard disk space.

But it's clear that no PC platform consumer software can properly smart render long GOP MPEG-2 files.

So it would seem the use of intermediates is mandatory.

Hulk, my question to you has to do with the Sony software.

I understand it has the Cineform technology incorporated.

So if I were to buy the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition package, would I then be able to convert my AVCHD files to editable .AVI files and then edit those files in the NLE of my choice?

Or would I be forced to edit the Cineform .AVI files in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition?

You have the full Vegas product, as I recall.

So it should handle the Cineform files in an identical fashion, right?

Or should I spend the full $250 on Cineform's Neo HDV???

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Jerry,

Since I don't (yet) have an HDV or AVCHD camera I haven't done much investigation of the workflow for those formats. Of course I did quite a bit of HDV work when I wrote the book a few years ago and know that Vegas works quite well with CFHD. Then I was using Vegas 5 and had the CFHD codec installed. Now Vegas 6 and 7 have the intermediary built in. You have to drop the HDV clips to be converted into the timeline and then render them out to the intermediary format.

I have pasted the instructions for doing this as it appears in the help section of Vegas 7 for you so you can have a look.

Here is the link to the differences in Movie Studio and Vegas: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...=404&PageID=28

I will try anything you need me to if you want to upload a file.

Other than that I would suggest downloading trial versions before even considering to spend $250.

Creating Intermediate Files for HDV Editing

If you're working on a system with limited processing power, converting to an intermediate, lower-resolution format will streamline the editing process and allow you to preview your project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capture your HDV clips. For more information, please see Capturing HDV Clips.

Start a new project.

Add your captured HDV clips (MPEG-2 transport streams) to the timeline.

Render your clips to an appropriate intermediate format.

You can verify a template's codec by looking at the Video format drop-down list on the Video tab of the Custom Template dialog.

If you're performing frame rate or frame size conversion, ensure the Video rendering quality is set to Best on the Project tab of the Custom Template dialog.

Destination
    Intermediate Format

HDCAM over HD-SDI
    Render an .avi file that uses the Sony YUV codec. The frame rate and frame size should match your HDCAM master.

Digital Betacam or
    XDCAM over SD-SDI
    Render an .avi file that uses the Sony YUV codec. The frame rate and frame size should match your master.

24p DVD
    Render an .avi file that uses one of the following codecs:

Sony YUV (offers the highest quality, but requires a high-performance drive array).

CineForm HD (offers excellent quality with good playback performance).

Sony NTSC DV Widescreen (use the NTSC DV Widescreen 24p (2-3-3-2) pulldown .avi template).

Windows Media HD
    Render an .avi file using one of the following templates. Choose the template that matches your HDV source:

HDV 720-30p intermediate.

HDV 720-25p intermediate.

HDV 1080-60i intermediate.

HDV 1080-50i intermediate.

After rendering is complete, you're ready to start editing on the timeline.

Tips:

If you don't want to convert all clips in their entirety, create regions to indicate the portions of the captured HDV clips that you want to convert to an intermediate format, and then use the Batch Render script to render the regions to the desired format.

Remember that Vegas software supports multiple instances. You can use one instance of the application to render your intermediate files while you continue editing in another instance. Use network rendering to queue multiple render jobs.

Using DVD Architect software, you can create a DVD that contains an SD version of your project and place an HD Windows Media version in the Extras folder on the disk. When you browse to the Extras folder via Windows Explorer, you can play the HD version and output it to your computer's display, a home theater, or a projector.
    - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

The problem with this idea is that MainConcept is the technology already being used in the Corel (Ulead) software and it doesn't work worth a darn!

At each edit -- such as when you insert a title -- you can see what appears to be a freeze frame at the very point where the title leaves the scene.

That's what happens with the MainConcept technology in the Corel (Ulead) software.

The Magix software also uses the MainConcept technology.

An almost identical issue appears in the Magix software.

Except in the Magix software, you can see the glitch at the beginning of the rendered title effect.

So -- bottom line -- these solutions that have implemented MainConcept SDKs don't work.

If MainConcept has managed to get it working in their custom products for Premiere... fine.

But I'm not about to spend money and be the guinea pig for yet another failed MainConcept technology endeavor.

Somebody would need to test the MainConcept products for Premiere and prove to me that they work *before* I would be willing to spend another cent on a product that boasts MainConcept technology.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Hulk,

It sounds like I'll have to buy Neo HDV if I want to edit my Cineform .avi files in the NLE of my choice.

With the Sony products, it seems the codec only installs into the Sony product timelines and won't install into any other NLE on one's system.

Jerry Jones

Comment

Working...
        X