Surge protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surge protection

Is it possible to get a kettle lead with built in surge protection? Or is it always done through a power strip?

For a KETTLE?
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hehe IEC (Kettle), no I mean for a computer / electronics devices. If not built into the cable, are there small single socket surge protectors available?

Comment

Looks pretty crap. And for less than five quid, probably works like it.
        It exists though... ;-)

If your kit is worth money, invest in protecting it.
        I bought 2 UPS's, an 850VA one for the Main PC + Stor, and a 350VA one for the Modems and switches.

edit : can't you get a wall socket in the UK with one built in ? including the reset switch if possible of course...
        I suspect it would be of much better build...
        PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
        Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
        +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

Yeah, the little single socket surge protector things are crappy. 400 Joules isn't worth it. As mentioned, if its something thats expensive enough to protect, then get a decent surge supressor.

It is possible to get wall sockets with supression, however they require more space in the wall and you'd have to rip it out if it blows. Usually these type are for larger power distribution panels.

Comment

APC makes single socket surge supressors that do work
            they can handle up to 40k+ amps

Does not wear down, works without resetting, only drawback is that they only work in grounded sockets..
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Are there many ungrounded sockets in Sweden? There are none in Germany.

Comment

All UK sockets are grounded.

Get decent protection. Strip board aren't too expensive and will often come with free insurance.
                You can get double-plug adapters with some surge protection, but don't unless you have to.

And FWIW a kettle lead != IEC. They have a notch between L & N, as I know to my cost. I was once creating a notch...ended up going to hospital and having stiches

Get a cordless kettle while you are there. Mine illuminates blue on standby and red while heating
                Last edited by Fat Tone; 11 July 2007, 03:14. Reason: Az took the piss out of my typo :)
                FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  Get a cordless kettle while you are there. Mine illuminates blue on standby and read while heating
                  Wow. What are its famous books? Does it emits a radish glow to tell you it's finished reading? Hope it doesn't readyate your water.

Comment

Surely you mean readiate?
                    FT.

Comment

Oh yes, sorry. So it readiates a radish glow when it's hating the watear? (I know, they don't get better over time... I'll stop now )

Comment

Strangly, radish is about right, colour wise
                        FT.

Comment

Thanks, will look into it. It's just sometimes there may be only one device connected to the power socket.

Comment

Working...
                          X