PIII-450 showing as PII in Windows 98 System Properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIII-450 showing as PII in Windows 98 System Properties

I just upgraded my P2-400 cpu to a P3-450 cpu. However the Win98 System Properties window still shows the CPU as being an Intel Pentium II Processor. Is this normal?

Yes it is... Windows98 (FE or Vanilla or whatever ) didn't know about a P3 or Athlon. So it's showing your processor as the closest it knows.

If you'd put a P3-600 in it, I think all you see is Genuine Intel Pentium...

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks Jordan

Comment

LOL, my P3 shows up as a Pentium Pro in Win95.

Rags

Comment

Okay, why are you running W95 on a PIII? I hope it's just for kicks. PIII's don't help W95 much -- the SSE instructions can't be used. By anything.

-Wombat
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You can customize the system properties to a limited extent.

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

To edit the Windows System Properties you need to put a oeminfo.ini file and an oemlogo.bmp picture into your Windows/System folder.

Here's an example of these files that you can edit and place in Windows/System...
              http://home.att.net/~albpm2/myoem.zip

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

There's a nice utility which is a control panel applet which allows you to do all this and more available at http://www.xteq.com

Comment

Hawkeye,
                  I have no control over what OS the computer at work has on it, unless I want immediate termination.

I have a P3 at home on Win98.

Rags

Comment

Can't you install Win98 and substitute the graphics file showing at bootup so that it looks like Win95?

Comment

So, Rags...
                      A little side business. How about you start exchanging ppl's PII-450's for your boss's under-utilized PIII's? ; )
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                      X