would you survive a year without made in china

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would you survive a year without made in china

Last year, two days after Christmas, we kicked China out of the house. Not the country obviously, but bits of plastic, metal, and wood stamped with
    Originally posted by Gurm
    .. some very fair skinned women just have a nasty brown crack no matter what...

A very interesting article indeed!!

I too am very picky at what I buy especially if it's electronic or food related, all my TV's are made in Japan, as well as my VCR's my fridge stove, dish washer and washer and dryer are made here in Canada or in the USA, kids toys I make sure they are safe and not made in China.
    But I think it's where you live, in Toronto you can easily get away by not buying Chinese products, at least I'm aware of it, but not many, nor do they care as long as it serves it's purpose.
    The problem with Chinese products, andno offence to anyone Chinese in this world is their lack of quality control, they don't care one bit about the safety and well being of the purchaser, all they care about is to replicate a product and sell sell sell!
    Look, they already replicated the Iphone and will probably sell it to those uneducated and get away with it. All to say is we should always be carefull, we have to be smart buyers and be aware at all times what we are buying or consuming, and this goes for products made all around the world, not just China.

Cheers,
    Elie

Comment

So...how do you upgrade your computers?

Comment

Very true.... .

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Many good shoes are made in Brazil, too bad this family looked for European goods and seems to have dismissed many goods coming from South America.
          As for electronics, some are still made in Korea, Singapore, Taiwan and Japan, not to mention Malaysia.
          If you want to go all the way and do the serious thing: http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
            I too am very picky at what I buy especially if it's electronic or food related, all my TV's are made in Japan, as well as my VCR's my fridge stove, dish washer and washer and dryer are made here in Canada or in the USA, kids toys I make sure they are safe and not made in China.
            I hate to tell you this, but your Japanese TV has most of its parts, including the LCD, plasma and CRT screens, "Made in China". A lot of the electronics too. If a TV were made 100% in Japan, it would not be competitive by a factor of 5. I've visited many factories in China, including those making TV screens of both CRT and LCD types, and I know they export them to TV makers over the whole globe. Most of the components in your VCR, too. China is also the biggest manufacturer in the world for fridge and aircon compressors and there is every chance that the one in your fridge was made there.

Laudable as your idea may be, you are trying to cut water with a sword.

Edit: I also visited a company making sneakers in Egypt. They moulded the soles themselves but the uppers were imported from, er, China. Even Egypt is too expensive, with its child labour, to make the uppers.
            Last edited by Brian Ellis; 2 July 2007, 01:04.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

We have become accustomed to paying 2$ for a t shirt. by saying accustomed I mean addicted. so what if the shirt is crap? it'll get disintegrated after two laundry cycles, but it was so cheap so we'll buy ten. better yet, lets go to Wallmart or one of those other Mega-Giant-SuperSaver slave running stores. we'll get the same crap product for 1$.

Comment

Does that include no Chinese takeaway?

Comment

No, takeaways and "Chinese" restaurants are exempt because the rubbish they inflict on a gullible public is as close to Chinese cuisine as China is to the US or Europe.
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
                    No, takeaways and "Chinese" restaurants are exempt because the rubbish they inflict on a gullible public is as close to Chinese cuisine as China is to the US or Europe.
                    What are you trying to say then? a Ginger sprinkled Hamburger is not a traditional Chinese dish ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                      So...how do you upgrade your computers?

Made in Taiwan
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well, that also is China, you know...
                        More seriously - all the elctronic componenents on motherboard/etc. are also not made in China?

BTW, isn't China also the biggest maker of tools of machines used to...do other things, anywhere?

Anyway, I guess I'm weird, I ended up having lots of EU made clothes...
                        At least they're going strong, even if having few years...

Comment

Originally posted by FatBastard View Post
                          What are you trying to say then? a Ginger sprinkled Hamburger is not a traditional Chinese dish ?

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by FatBastard View Post

Sounds tasty!
                            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                            X