Peltier question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peltier question

I've been using fans so far, and i've been looking at peltiers. Could someone explain how it's supposed to work? On several different sites, they have the "copper hot plate" and the "aluminum cold plate" what do they do and how are they supposed to be connected?
    hi

Also, running a Peltier when/where it's not needed can result in condensation. Moisture is quite bad for your computer, so be careful. If I recall, Jammrock and a few others have Peltier experiences, so ask them.

-Wombat
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Also be aware of its power requirements. I had no problem with a 250W power supply however 300W is reccommended (which can add to the cost).
      My el-cheapo peltiers $17 (just for the peltier itself) would draw 2.5A @ 12V so I did not have a problem with my supply requirements.

Comment

Thanks, another question: where can I get them? I also saw a couple peltiers described as "potted against moisture" what's that mean?

Thanks
        hi

Comment

Yeah thats why mine are $17! heh. I wish I had that. This potting I assume is the insultating material between the two ceramic hot and cold plates that house the PN junctions. Thus not allowing an air passage to potentially create moisture from within the peltier. The $50 ones I see at the computer fair are like this. It is a hard white compound extending to the edge of the ceramic plates.
          Hope that doesn't sound too confusing. Go for one of these if you can.
          Just punch in peltier into a search engine and go for it. You'll see many pictures and setup ideas. Pictures speak a thousand words.

Comment

Ok, thanks for your help!
            hi

Comment

Working...
            X