Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no more vga on lcd TV ...

Hello,

My parents have been looking at a medium size TV (58-66 cm), but I noticed something odd in the Philips range. The cheapest one has just one scart, one DVI-I and not very good viewing angles. The two more expensive ones have hdmi, several other connectors, but NO analog VGA (they only support a PC via a DVI to HDMI adapter). The most expensive one also has no VGA, but has yPbPr with additionally H-sync and V-sync and can apparently be used with a VGA to RGBHV cable.

My current laptop only has a VGA output... so I guess it is not possible to connect it to any of those mid price TVs?
    I guess the easiest way would be to get a video capture device that also has video out capabilities (but it will be lower quality)...?

I'm also looking at other manufacturers, but my parents have a preference towards Philips...

Weird development...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

DVI-A, which is included in DVI-I, is VGA. You need a simple adapter plug to D-Sub.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I know, but only the cheapest one has the DVI-I (but it has poor viewing angles).

The others only support DVI via a DVI-HDMI dongle; this means it only allows DVI-D, right?
      (no analog signals in the HDMI spec)

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

what kind of laptop do you have? most thinkpads support dvi through a cheap port replicator and/or docking station, for some HP notebooks the situation is similar, afaik.

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

It's a Fujitsu Siemens P1510; the docking for this is a simple port replicator (only VGA, serial, ...).
          It may not be that big if I couldn't connect it, but somehow it bothers me.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X