Sheffield Flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheffield Flooding

Probably you're unaware theres been a major event in the South Yorkshire region in the uK.
    By pure chance the major flooding occured before rush hour. If it happened later the death toll would be much much larger than 5 as the routes effected are major roads out of Sheffield.

Days after the event http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6246062.stm

My own take on the floods

The south side of the city seems completly uneffected and everything seems sureal from watching TV coverage of people being air lifted from Factorys in the Don valley.

The Governement isn't going to give any extra aid to Sheffield or the effected areas.

More heavy rain is predicted for the region.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Here the state Governor would have declared a disaster and the Feds, Red Cross, Salvation Army etc. would have been there very quickly. Hell, the Red Cross & Salvation Army would have been there while it was still going on
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      Here the state Governor would have declared a disaster and the Feds, Red Cross, Salvation Army etc. would have been there very quickly. Hell, the Red Cross & Salvation Army would have been there while it was still going on
      Katrina?
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Louisiana's Governor Blanco refused to allow the feds and Red Cross to do their jobs. As a result they had to remain at a staging area outside of New Orleans until too late. She also refused the federalization of the Louisiana National Guard to improve the command structure. Read the report. The people there know, which is why her poll numbers dropped to ~30% and she decided, correctly, not to run for re-election.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 June 2007, 21:02.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I have a friend who lives in Millsands, Sheffield. He had to wade through 4ft of water to get home. Fortunately his flat is on the 1st floor. Amazingly he hasn't had a single blip in power or even phone/internet throughout.
          FT.

Comment

It's looking like renewed floods this weekend in the Sheffield area with another two inches rain predicted maybe more.
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Can't you send us some? We are desperately short of water here with reserves at only 23% of capacity, exacerbated by the heat wave we have just now (record number of days >40°C for June: even where we are, at 300 m up, it reached 40.2° this afternoon and 41.7° on the 24th). 3 persons dead, so far. If it's like this in June, I dread last week July/first week August which are the traditionally hottest days. All-time record was a few years ago, with 47.2°C: not bad for a small island.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I suggest the pumps on the reservoir get REALLY long hoses connected for Brian.

Brian, have you considered holidaying in cooler climes?
                FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
                  Brian, have you considered holidaying in cooler climes?
                  Nope, we like the weather here. If I visit the family in Switzerland, I always feel poorly because of the high humidity and the pollen and certainly NEVER in winter: too damn cold! Lived there for 35 years and suffered for 35 winters with the cold, 35 springs with the pollen, 35 summers with the humidity and 35 autumns at the prospect of winter!
                  Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Biggest rescue operation since the war apparently.

Farming has been hit hard and with more rain to come it isn't going to get better. It's now raining once again.
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                    X