Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network Media Player as alternative to HTPC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Media Player as alternative to HTPC?

I'm seriously tempted by this: http://www.freecom.com/ecproduct_det...sCatID=1147078

I'd get the version without a HDD and use the 250GB PATA out of my HTPC, and sell the bits.

I've never used the HTPC for much more than a jukebox. It was such a PITA watching movies that we just use the PS2 as a DVD player, and I have a freeview box with HDD recorder for timeshifting. It is noisy (despite my best efforts) and the Silverstone LC11-BM case only has a 300W PSU which struggles with the startup current of the 9800AIW.

If I have divx files I stream them across the network to the HTPC.

Anyone see a problem, or have an alternative suggestion for simillar money (£120)?

T.
    FT.

I do see a problem: These network media players are all not very good

They have UI quirks or aren't as compatible as one would hope, etc.

For music only, there's nothing better than a Squeezebox, even though 300 EUR is a bit steep for just a music player with no storage (needs network storage with server software) - but it's worth every cent.

To play videos etc as well, I'd really think about a Mac Mini or maybe even an Apple TV. Sasq has one of those, he might be able to tell you more.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Looks pretty good for £122.00 sans disk
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Never considered an Xbox 1 with XBMC? Apart from proper HD video, I cannot fault it at all - mine's used almost every day playing MP3's or video, streamed wirelessly from a NAS box.

Comment

Life is too short. It needs to be a turnkey solution that the whole family can use.
          FT.

Comment

The Netgear EVA8000 is said to be nice.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone View Post
              Life is too short. It needs to be a turnkey solution that the whole family can use.
              Well in use if you didn't know better you wouldn't know it wasn't an off the shelf product. Slick interface, very rarely ever problems, simple to use with a remote control and hardly any time to set up.

Comment

My parents have a Philips TV with built in network client. It can be used for photos, MP3, and even videos, so it behaves like a simple network media player. The downside to it are IMO the limited number of video codecs (no dvd rips, no divx, no xvid) and the lack of recording capabilities. Other than that, it might serve your purpose...?

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                X