Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwae raid

Hi all.

I am in an urgent need of a hardware raid pci , pciX card.

requirements:
    1. Honest to god hardware raid (0,1 should be fine).
    (None of that Matrix or Marvel "Hardware assisted" crap that comes with intel 975x boards.)
    1.1 No drivers, All is done in card's bios level
    1.1.1 NO DRIVERS, ALL IS DONE IN THE CARD'S BIOS LEVEL
    2. sata II.
    3. Reasonable pricing.
    4. Advice based on personal experience is appreciated the most, as I can google with the best of them.

Thanks a million

FB
    Originally posted by Gurm
    .. some very fair skinned women just have a nasty brown crack no matter what...

Everything fails at point 1.1 & 1.1.1 since those devices are generally rare and expensive as hell, therefore negating point 3 & 4
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Define "Expensive all hell" .... I can spend as much as 350$. for 400$ the card better do my laundry as well as raiding.

Comment

Originally posted by FatBastard View Post
        Define "Expensive all hell" .... I can spend as much as 350$. for 400$ the card better do my laundry as well as raiding.

There is also the question of "how many hard drives." That is also a large factor.

But yeah, chances of finding a SATA II hardware RAID controller that doesn't need drivers are slim to none. Unless by "no drivers" you mean all the RAID level stuff is handled on the card BIOS and all you need to do on the OS side is install the controller driver.

Speaking of which, what OS will you be running?
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I have two 250 GB drives. I want to run RAID 1. I mean I need a card with a OnBoard CPU and Memory, that will reflect a single drive to the OS.

I am running (on that machine) CentOs 5.0. I have configured software raid (mdadm), it worked fine, but I am not so pleased with the performance and moment.
          Last edited by FatBastard; 22 June 2007, 01:07.

Comment

"Cheap" (i. e. three-figure) hardware RAID cards are not really faster than today's software RAIDs.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

a less impotent (for me) thing is IO time, though for my type of usage a software raid will be considerably slower then a Hardware one. The management is also an issue. I don't want to maintain two boot loaders, and some maintenance scripts etc.

cheap hardware raids, are not really hardware. the OS driver does all the heavy lifting, but thats hardly what I'm after.

Comment

I know what you mean, that was what I referred to as software RAIDs. I meant there are cards with chips that do the RAIDing in hardware, but the cheap cards with them aren't much faster than those pseudo-hardware cards or OS-level software RAID.

What type of usage, if I may ask? If it involves lots of random access and IO time is more important than transfer rates, try Flash storage. There are adaptors to connect CF cards to IDE ports (because CF cards are IDE devices).
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Its gonna be used as an Xplanner, svn, cruise control , word press machine. the ant builds I'm gonna run there use up all the Q6600 power (and then some) and write MBs of serialized object while running. but thats beside the point, all I need is redundancy, and easy, fast recovery (so If something happens while I'm away I can keep drinking, and let some other guy save the day).

Comment

My motherboard has that. It's an Asus P5W DH Deluxe. The feature is called "ASUS EZ-Backup":

ASUS EZ-Backupâ„¢
                    Others guarantee your hard-drive, EZ-Backup guarantees your data on the hard-drive.

No driver, no configuration, just plug and play RAID to backup your data instantaneously. Exclusive to ASUS EZ-Backupâ„¢, users can utilize SATA2 technology to arrange RAID1 (default) or RAID0 system without BIOS or any other setup. EZ-Backupâ„¢ is ideal for anyone who wishes to secure the data on the hard-drive but doesn't want the hassle of complicated software configuration. EZ-Backupâ„¢ looks after your data for you.
                    I'm sure that other (newer) Asus motherboards will have this features as well.

I use it to RAID0 two 150GB WD Raptor hard drives on my work PC. It's magically delicious.
                    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Your looking at cards from 3Ware (9550SX-4LP/9550SX-8LP/9650SE-4LPML/9650SE-8LPML), LSI (MegaRAID SATA 300-4XLP/300-8XLP) or Promise (SuperTrak EX4350/EX83x0)
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Just to be clear, there is an optional system tray util to moditor RAID health but there are no drivers.

The main system bios sees the RAID array as 1 drive. Windows sees it as "External Disk 0".

I've installed 32 bit and 64 bit versions both Windows XP Pro and Vista Ultimate on this PC. So far no issues with OS compatibility.
                        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Taz View Post
                          Your looking at cards from 3Ware (9550SX-4LP/9550SX-8LP/9650SE-4LPML/9650SE-8LPML), LSI (MegaRAID SATA 300-4XLP/300-8XLP) or Promise (SuperTrak EX4350/EX83x0)
                          Cheers man.
                          thanks to everybody

FB

Comment

I can personally vouch that the MegaRAID cards ROCK under Red Hat ES and Windows. I would imagine they are equally fab under whatever flavor of LinSux you are Lusing.
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
                              I can personally vouch that the MegaRAID cards ROCK under Red Hat ES and Windows. I would imagine they are equally fab under whatever flavor of LinSux you are Lusing.

Err now you're being hopeful. I bet the bottom dollar thay won''t work with all flavours of Linux.
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X