FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer - report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer - report

6 of us (me, Margie, Erik, middle son Chris, his wife & son) went to see this Sunday and rather enjoyed it.

Better than the first one they made it family fare but with bits that go over the younger kids for adults and older kids. Lots of funny bits esp. Reeds bachelor party, which goes south

The effects are pretty good, especially SS, and effects related to Torch & Mr. Fantastic. In one cool sequence Torch gets all the powers of his team-mates and delivers a royal thumpin'

Not bad at all....it even got majority applause from a full house @ Emagine.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 June 2007, 04:55.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Good, i found the first installment to be too much of a "prequel" to the following films...
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

One running bit is Reeds exit from dork status. He starts out still a bit withdrawn, but later puts someone in their place so well that Sue gets hot for him
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Hmmm, not what I heard, they said it was not fantastic, but acceptable.

I will buy on DVD for the kids

Comment

Originally posted by Elie View Post
          Hmmm, not what I heard, they said it was not fantastic, but acceptable.

Yep I agree. It was pretty good, because the CG on the Silver Surfer really made the movie. They did a nice job on SS, and kind of short changed the rest of the movie a bit.
          And it was a short movie, only about 90mins.

Comment

90 mins, wow. Given the story I thought more time would have been necessary. I didn't see the first movie in the theatre, so I rather doubt I'll see this one on anything but DVD.

As an aside, the short length of this film and the long length of other like films has further convinced me that beyond the spectacle of seeing 'blockbuster' movies on the really big screen, such movies are far better suited for the mini-series format. Obviously production costs preclude that from being possible, but a long-running mini-series would allow far greater flexibility in telling the story. No worries about each episode being too long or short, no need to reintroduce aspects of previous movies/episodes, and the ability to further explore the characters and the world/universe they inhabit.

But that's way off-topic.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I miss the days when a mini-series was ACTUALLY a mini-series. Nowadays they call anything with 2 episodes a miniseries. 3 hours does NOT a miniseries make. "Into the West" was a miniseries. 6 2-hour episodes.

Band of Brothers was a miniseries. Well, maybe a whole series unto itself, really, but only one season.

I remember when miniseries ran to 20 episodes. "Return to Treasure Island" kept us busy every Friday night for a YEAR.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

does galactus make an appearance?

P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

He should

“And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
                    does galactus make an appearance?
                    Yes, but not as a giant personage. It's more like a gigantic energy being with cyclonic tentacles & surrounded by debris that rips planets apart from the inside out using tunnels to the core "drilled" by SS. The impression is that it lives on both the heat of the core and the planets biosphere.

Made more sense to me than a hungry giant in stylized samurai armor
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 June 2007, 02:05.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                    X