Tigers Verlander: no-hitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigers Verlander: no-hitter

Verlander threw 100 mph fastballs, dipsy-doodle curves and a wicked changeup.

No-hit stuff, indeed

Link....

UNTOUCHABLE: Pumped-up Verlander no-hits Brewers

No-hitter is Tigers’ first since ‘84 (first @ home since 1952)

Tigers starter Justin Verlander struck out a career-high 12, walked four and benefited from several stellar defensive plays in the Tigers' first no-hitter since Jack Morris' gem in 1984.

Tigers No-Hitters

June 12, 2007: Justin Verlander vs. Milwaukee Brewers, 4-0
    April 7, 1984: Jack Morris at Chicago, 4-0
    July 20, 1958: Jim Bunning at Boston, 3-0
    Aug. 25, 1952: Virgil Trucks at New York, 1-0
    May 15 1952: Virgil Trucks vs. Washington, 1-0
    July 4, 1912: George Mullin vs. St. Louis, 7-0, second game

Amid the birds, the bugs and the Brewers, Justin Verlander filled in one of the great voids in Tigers' history on Tuesday night.

A no-hitter at home.

A no-hitter in a 4-0 Tigers' victory that the fans could sense in the fourth or fifth, or whenever they realized something special was in the works.

A no-hitter over the Milwaukee Brewers with the tension building inning by inning, out by out, with no disappointment at the end.

By the time J.J. Hardy's fly ball to right landed in Magglio Ordonez's glove for the final out, Verlander had already been hugged by catcher Pudge Rodriguez near the mound.

The celebration was already underway. The moment was already being cherished.

Not since 1952 had a Tigers pitcher thrown a no-hitter at home. A couple had done it on the road — Jim Bunning in Boston, Jack Morris in Chicago — but good years came and good years went, bad years came and bad years went, season followed season, and still not a no-hitter at home.

Fifty-five years later, there's been one now. This amazingly talented right-hander, just 24 years old, has pitched his way into the records book.

"One of the most special moments of my life," he said, pausing just long enough to reconsider. "The most special moment of my life to this point."

Verlander walked four. His chance of a perfect game disappeared in the third. But his chance of a no-hitter never did — thanks to Sean Casey making a play in the third, Magglio Ordonez making a play in the seventh and Neifi Perez making a play at shortstop in the eighth.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Saw highlights from it last night. Threw a 102mph pitch to the last batter
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen| View Post
      Saw highlights from it last night. Threw a 102mph pitch to the last batter

Impressive for the last batter of the night.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I've seen him pitch up close; the kid has an arm like a rifle and knows how to use it.

The angle I had, behind home plate, showed that it's more body mechanics & a long arm (he's 6'5") and not effort. He's actually been throwing over 100 mph since his first days at Old Dominion college. His first year in the minors he posted a 0.28 Earned Run Average

That bodes well for his future.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 June 2007, 06:58.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X