Resize an NTFS partition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resize an NTFS partition?

Ok, so I just got my new Dell Machine. Of course it came with XP installed (which I'd like to keep), but I want to install linux on a dual boot setup, so i need to resize the NTFS partition.

I'm not really willing to spend money on a tool to do this (unless it's like $10 or so).

I've tried a few things so far, none of which worked as advertised.

My next step is to try booting from a (live?) Mandrake 9.1 CD and resizing it from there.

Before I do, does anyone else have a good way of doing this?

PS - i need to do this EASILY either via some kind of boot disk or from windows. I can't be using a tool that requirse linux to be installed first in order to do it.

Comment

Use GParted.

It's free.

It runs off a live CD or bootable USB.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Hotness. I will give this a whirl. Hopefully it will pick up my sata drive (the last live CD i tried wouldn't).

partition editor, partition manager, partition magic, hard disk drive, flash drive, USB stick

Comment

Hard drives are pretty inexpensive. Any thoughts about just picking up
          a new one so that you can keep the two OSs independent?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
            Hard drives are pretty inexpensive. Any thoughts about just picking up
            a new one so that you can keep the two OSs independent?
            Yeah, but I'm already over budget as is with this PC, so I'd rather not.

If this works, I'd be happy with it.

Comment

Working...
            X