Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Xonar D2X

Speaking of sound cards:

Asus showcased their new Xonar at Computex and finally spoke about the DAC/DSP. Apparently they hired C-Media to build them an exclusive chip. Preliminary specs look pretty nice, and it comes in PCI and PCIe flavors.
    The ASUS Xonar D2-series features full-duplex 24-bit/192 KHz audio processing on all inputs and outputs. ASUS claims the Xonar D2-series can reach signal-to-noise ratio levels up to 118dB. The new sound cards also support Dolby Digital Live and DTS:Connect technologies for single-cable multi-channel audio enjoyment.

Additional Dolby and DTS technologies such as Dolby Headphone, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Virtual Speaker, DTS Interactive and DTS Neo:PC. The ASUS Xonar D2-series also supports ASIO 2.0 for low latency audio tasks.
    Looks like Creative is finally getting some competition.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

The hard part of a soundcard is not really the DSP - you can buy that somewhere. The analog signal part is harder to get right and does affect the sound much more (when we're talking about music, not realtime positional audio). And wasn't that the soundcard with the fan on it?
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
      The hard part of a soundcard is not really the DSP - you can buy that somewhere. The analog signal part is harder to get right and does affect the sound much more (when we're talking about music, not realtime positional audio). And wasn't that the soundcard with the fan on it?

No fan, just the funky looking metal shield.

Comment

Looks cool. So are we limited to just coax for digital? I don't see an optical socket.
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey View Post
          Looks cool. So are we limited to just coax for digital? I don't see an optical socket.

It uses those cool dual SPDIF sockets. A single socket covers both coax and optical TOS/link SPDIF. It's actually mini-TOS/link, and you need an adapter for regular TOS/link cabling, but they are ~$15 USD. Look at the second link and you'll see the LEDs inside the RCA jacks.

Comment

Ahem! So EAX 2.0 is somehow better than EAX HD 5.0 (which I assume is backwards compatible)?

And since when do I need a soundcard to record stuff from DRMed files to DRM-free files? There are software soundcards like totalrecorder to do that without any DAC/ADC quality loss. And there's still the recompression loss. And I thought vista could deactivate recording capabilities while playing back DRMed files, or was that idea scratched? And DRM is dying anyway

So much hype and marketing. We'll see. But it's nice to see more competition to Creative.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Cool, more competition, but I am liking the Prelude more right now.
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
              X