Athlon 600 + g400 max crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon 600 + g400 max crashes

It seems like embm may be crashing my system. Both the tech demo and dungeon keeper 2 with embm enabled both will consistently crash. Although it may be due to my board since I also get crashes under windows.

System specs:
    FIC athlon board
    athlon 600
    g400max
    xitel platinum (vortex 2 chipset)
    ibm deskstar 18gb 7200 rpm
    pioneer 303s scsi
    teac 8x24 cd-r scsi
    128mb pc100
    300W power supply
    generic isa nic

Any ideas? I've tried updating the video drivers and the sound drivers to no avail.

Thanks
    Jonathan

There are rumors of FIC's K7 board having a bad time with SCSI devices. I don't know more than that, but maybe you can find something in a newsgroup.

-Wombat
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

OK..

lets get this straight. your system crashes under windows, then, you add a G400?? I hope you are not surprised...

any ways, I have had some PAST experience with FIC mobos and will never buy one again. they suck and they have consistant problems which makes them very unreliable.

plus, you are using an Athlon.. which happens to in its first gen as well as Athlon mobo's so you will probably incur problems until stuff get taken care of later on.

sounds like a IRQ problem. if you can change the G400 IRQ setting try that.

CB
      Abit BX6 Rev.1
      Celeron 366A PPGA @ 566, 2.1v
      192 meg RAM, CAS2
      13.0 gig Maxtor 4320 HD
      6.0 gig Maxtor (in removeable drive bay)
      HP8110i 4x2x24
      Pioneer DVD-104
      SB Live! 1024
      USB ZIP 100
      G400 32MB DH 5ns RAM at 187/211
      Two KDS 17" Trinitron monitors
      YAMAHA HTR-5140 Reciever

Comment

Last week I upgraded my main system from a Celery 400 (on an Abit BH6) to an Athlon 600 running on the Asus K7M mobo. Having had everything humming along very nicely thankyou very much, I now find the odd intermittent crash.

Note I'm not using an FIC motherboard!

My main problem though is that DVD playback does not work at all. I just get the small "DVD Player now loading" window it just sits there - activity on my LG 2x DVD-ROM drive (the only IDE device on my system) ceases after a couple of minutes.

I notice from your specs, jhalcrow, that you don't have a DVD-ROM drive. Anybody else have an Athlon playing back DVD?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tim

Comment

Boy is my face red

My crashes were actually caused by two problems. First, I had stuff crashing while mp3s were playing, the newest aureal reference drivers fixed that(before I was using the latest from xitel)

The other problem was actually heat. I went back into my case and noticed two things...
          (1) I had a big ass 50 pin scsi cable cutting off air flow to my g400max.
          (2) No case fan (doh!)

Currently my system is running more stable than my old p2-233 with i740 ever ran. I have the case cover off and a fan blowing directly into the case until I can get my hands on some screws to attach the fans to the case.

Thanks for the advice
          --Jonathan

Comment

to TheMorg:

Well, you probably have found a solution already. I had originally problems with my Athlon 500/MSI 6167/Creative 2xDVD/G400 setup, but they are all gone.

You should probably check that your IDE bus mastering drivers are OK. I had to fiddle around with them quite a lot (MSI has the original AMD IDE chipset, not the VIA one, by the way), and original Win98 SE installation brought some generic Microsoft made drivers which did not work with the DVD.

Easiest way to see if they are OK is to look in Control Panel/Device Manager for your hard disks. If the system "knows" their make and model, it is OK. If it shows (Generic hard disk type 47" or similar, then you have a problem, and you should concentrate on your bus mastering IDE drivers.

So, get your mobo's driver CD and re-install...

Also, strange enough, for Creative DVD at least (maybe so others that are internally the same device) you have to disable the UDF file system with MSconfig / advanced.

M.

[This message has been edited by Meek (edited 10-05-1999).]
            year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Rumors about FIC K7 + SCSI = Trouble ?!!!?

None that I've experienced.

Ghydda

------------------
              A slowly desintegrating nobody running an Athlon 500MHz+Alpha P125 on a FIC SD11 with 256MB CAS2 Memorycard, Adaptec 2940UW, Adaptec 2904CD, 3 SCSI HD, JVC 2x toaster, Plextor 40Max, Pioneer DVD-U03S, SBlive Value with homemade S/PDIF I/O-card and last but not least - Matrox Marvel G200 AGP 8+8MB SD with PowerStrip@110/147MHz

Only thing missing: Matrox RT2K
              As I always say: You can get more with a kind word and a 2-by-4 than you can with just a kind word.
              My beloved Parhelia was twotiming with Dan Wood - now she's gone forever and all I got is this lousy T-shirt
              |Stolen Rig|RetroGames Rig|Workstation Rig|Server Rig|

Comment

Good. I'm glad it's okay then. Like I said, a rumor, and nothing more. I happen to like my FIC board.

-Wombat

------------------
                K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.1 w/ 2.2.12-20, Win98, and too many classes

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                X