• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIAA counter-sued....bigtime

Looks like they tried bullying the wrong guy

Link....

Monday, June 04, 2007

RIAA Accused of Extortion and Conspiracy in Tampa, Florida, case, UMG v. Del Cid

In a new Tampa, Florida, case, UMG v. Del Cid, the defendant has filed the following five (5) counterclaims against the RIAA, under Florida, federal, and California law:

1. Trespass

2. Computer Fraud and Abuse (18 USC 1030)

3. Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices (Fla. Stat. 501.201)

4. Civil Extortion (CA Penal Code 519 & 523)

5. Civil Conspiracy involving

(a) use of private investigators without license in violation of Fla. Stat. Chapter 493;

(b) unauthorized access to a protected computer system, in interstate commerce, for the purpose of obtaining information in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1030 (a)(2)(C);

(c) extortion in violation of Ca. Penal Code §§ 519 and 523;

(d) knowingly collecting an unlawful consumer debt, and using abus[ive] means to do so, in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1692a et seq. and Fla. Stat. § 559.72 et seq.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 June 2007, 16:23.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Knew my home town was good for something

This isn't, of course, the first time that RIAA has met with some hefty resistance lately. More and more it seems those who can are fighting back... hard.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I'm surprised the didn't file a civil RICO case in Federal court because of the extortion, but maybe they're holding that back in case the need a bigger club.

RICO = Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, most often used by the FBI against organized crime but there are sections that allow citizens to file civil actions.

I could see this becoming a class action suit, in which case the legal Great White & Tiger sharks will start circling. Not good for the RIAA.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 4 June 2007, 21:12.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X