Hard Drive Errors after Uninstalling/Installing Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Drive Errors after Uninstalling/Installing Apps

Once my system reboots after installing or uninstalling various software (PD Drivers, Corel Photo, IE5 etc) the registry shows errors and Win 98 will not boot. It is not consistant as often these apps have installed without problems.
    The last time this happened I had just run the Matrox uninstall utility to remove the 5.25 drivers before installing the 5.30 driver. (System never booted past the splash screen after the uninstall). After formatting the drive I had bad sectors and Win 98 would not run after reinstallation).

I have had the M/board, Ram, Power Supply and Hard Drive replaced (Under Warrenty) but this has not fixed the problem.

Sometimes the system just hangs before the splash screen and other times it brings up the famous Blue screen and then shuts down. I end up having to Format the HD and then it shows 0.26M byte bad sectors. This has happened 3 times to 3 HD's with the same 0.26M byte fault. It is not the same software causing the registry faults every time. The system might run O.K for a few weeks and then shits itself the same way everytime.

Would the Matrox drivers cause this (It only started happening after PD 4.51) or could a fault on my G200 card cause it. I have no problem with power cuts during use either so I don't know how my Hard Drives are getting these bad sectors right around where the registry resides (I Think).

My system is now back in the shop where I got it from but the techo's have no idea of the cause. The next thing they might replace is the processor (Not much left to try after that). It ran fine for about 12 months before giving problems.

Any ideas would help!

Cheers Guys!
    (Didn't The All Blacks Kick Some Ass at the World Cup)

Specs were:

PII 266 (Not O/C) with 96 Meg PC100 Ram (Replaced)
    Mill G200 with 8 Meg SGRAM (Original)
    ESS Sound Card PCI (Original)
    E-Tech V.90 56K modem PCI (Original)
    TMC-MYCOMP TI6NB 440BX M/BOARD @ 66Mhz bus (Replaced TI6NL 440LX BOARD)
    300 Watt P/S (Replaced)
    FUJUTSI MPD 4.32GIG HARD DRIVE (Replaced 3 times)
    WIN 98 Version 1

When I was running The superhot Intel Pentium 66Mhz I had similar problems, so there is good possibility that the processor is causing those.

66 was "cool" processor, even fans started to melt internally on it. .
    When I was using regular Pentium fans I had change them always after two months. But of course warranty covered it

--
    Arto
    --
    Cirrus

Comment

Working...
    X