new celeron400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new celeron400

is it overclockable?I just bought it and it is slower than my 300@450.Ive tried a couple times even to run 100mhz x 4 or4.5 and it keeps coming up 'celeron cpu at 600'or such.not workable.
    btw,thanks for responses with other problems,appreciated.
    gobrob

1. The 400MHz Celeron is multiplier-locked at 6x, so you must set the multiplier to 6x.

2. You will never, never be able to get the 400MHz Celeron to run at a 100MHz FSB (without investing in some insanely expensive cooling system). In fact, you'd be lucky to get it running reliably beyond 78MHz (x6 = 468MHz).

3. To get rid of the "not workable" error message, disable "speed error hold" in your BIOS's SoftMenu.

So yes, the overclocked 400MHz Celeron has a good chance of being slower than the overclocked 300MHz Celeron -- and less reliable too, since overclocking it will involve overclocking your entire PCI bus. Back up all your data before trying to use an FSB in the 72-to-92MHz range!

[This message has been edited by Spire (edited 10-11-1999).]

Comment

Thanks-ive got it running at 450(6x75).
      Since that doesnt give me any higher than my 300 was is there a chance that i could run my bud's 333 any higher(he'd be more than happy to swap me to the 400 i would think)
      gobrob

Comment

I don't have direct experience with 333MHz Celerons, but from what I've heard, you'll have an excellent chance getting it to run at the 100MHz FSB "sweet spot" (x5 = 500MHz).

You may have to up the voltage a little bit to get it running reliably, and perhaps invest in better cooling.

Comment

Thanks Spire,i'll give it a shot.
          gobrob

Comment

Working...
          X