Asus P3B-F and JumperFree-Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P3B-F and JumperFree-Problems

I have a problem setting up my Intel P2-266 CPU (Boxed Version) on the P3B-F M/B. When using the JumperFree mode the CPU selection does NOT allow me to choose the Bus Frequency Multiple(it stays gray-shaded) and it defaults to 3.5x.
    The problem is that the external frequency at 66MHz * 3.5x frequency multiple gives me only 233MHz and the problem is that I am using a P2-266Mhz.

Although when using DIP swiches I can select the 4.0x frequency multiple which gives me the 266MHz.

So is there a way I can get 266MHz in jumperfree mode or can actually choose the frequency multiple in the BIOS.

Spec.
    Intel P2-266
    Asus P3B-F rev.1.03
    BIOS rev. 1003A

In JumperFree mode, in BIOS under CPU Speed choose "Manual". This will then allow yot to set the PII as you need. I think it says this in the manual. You can get a copy of the manual via Asus' Web site.
    LCD

Comment

I did set it to "manual" and still can't choose the Bus frequency multiple, although it allows me to select the external frequency.

Comment

Check that all the switches are off for jumper free mode to work properly. Sometimes after setting and saving the bios settings, you also need to do a cold boot. Failing this, try a beta bios .006 or later or return the board.

Comment

Are you sure it is a 266 and not a 233? I mean weren't some multipliers locked by Intel? Perhaps you can 'force' it via the jumpers but not by the BIOS settings.

I have a PII 300 and using the P3B-F and 1003A BIOS I can set it as I like. However, I upgraded to a cheapo Celeron and the multiplier is locked at 5.5 (the BIOS won't let me change it) and so I set the FSB to 100 and now have 550.

You might try upping the FSB. Try another BIOS the latest beta being 1003.08.

You might try, using a clean rubber, gently cleaning the contacts on the PII. I found that my Asus CPU Converter would not work properly until I cleaned the contacts - and that was brand new.
          LCD

Comment

Working...
          X