Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most useless study of the century, or the last one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most useless study of the century, or the last one...

Link....

MU study finds binge drinking among college students impaires decision-making ability

The study was led by Anna E. Goudriaan, a former postdoctoral student in the College of Arts and Science’s Department of Psychological Sciences, who is now a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Amsterdam (Netherlands). She collaborated with Emily R. Grekin and Kenneth J. Sher of MU’s Midwest Alcoholism Research Center. Grekin, a former MU research assistant, is now an assistant professor at Wayne State University. Sher is a Curators’ professor of clinical psychology at MU.

The team of researchers examined 200 participants during a four-year period by incorporating the Iowa Gambling Test (IGT) into the analysis. The IGT is a test of decision making strategy and measures people’s tendency to make immediate (disadvantageous) or long-term (advantageous) choices. The MU students were between the ages of 18 and 22. The initial alcohol use analysis was conducted when the students were freshmen and continued until their junior years in college. Researchers obtained information about the age they began drinking and their frequency of heaving drinking.
    >
    yadda, yadda, yadda.....

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Well, I'd never have thought it.

Wonderful thing modern science!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

So Freshman year of college I got busted drinking. BIG shock there. So they sent me to "alcohol education class". I was trying NOT to pay attention to what was going on, they were doing the usual "did you know how much alcohol is in a glass of wine" nonsense.

Finally the woman asks "what are some high-risk activities for becoming intoxicated?"

And everyone just stares at her. Hands go up... "keg stands" "jello shots" "funneling". She says no, that's not what she's looking for. Everyone is puzzled.

She says she means what sort of situations might you be in where you get drunk when you didn't intend to?

And everyone goes silent.

Finally, I raise my hand (yeah I was a shit, even in college) and say:

"Ma'am, I don't mean any offense, but do you REALLY think any of us are here because we got drunk BY MISTAKE?"

She says "excuse me?"

I say "I'm here because they found half a dozen bottles of liquor, each worth more than most people spend on a keg, in my dorm room closet. Rob over there filled a watermelon with vodka. Which one of us do you think didn't INTEND to get drunk?"

The room bursts into laughter, and the woman starts stuttering. We were dismissed at that point.

The point of this story is that there's a segment of the population, especially in academic circles, that just doesn't GET drinking. They have a huge mental block. They really think that binge-drinking is some kind of aberration that occurs unintentionally, that most college students don't WANT to get drunk. I find this laughable, yet another example of the complete disconnect between policy-makers, researchers, and the public.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes but why did you feel the need to get so pissed in the first place.

Question from a piss head who's err drinking at the moment.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT View Post
          Yes but why did you feel the need to get so pissed in the first place.

Question from a piss head who's err drinking at the moment.

They can feel FREE to address THAT all they want, but by the time you're 19 or 20 you've already figured out how to get drunk... there's no point in addressing THAT!
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
          X