Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA pic of day: AQ wanna-be's?

Creepy

In this 1960 photograph, the seven original Mercury astronauts participate in U.S. Air Force survival training exercises at Stead Air Force Base in Nevada. Pictured from left to right are: L. Gordon Cooper, M. Scott Carpenter, John Glenn, Alan Shepard, Virgil I. Grissom, Walter Schirra and Donald K. Slayton.

The Original Seven

From left to right: L. Gordon Cooper, Scott Carpenter, John Glenn, Alan Shepard, Virgil I. Grissom, Walter M. Schirra and Donald K. Slayton

In this 1960 photograph, the seven original Mercury astronauts participate in U.S. Air Force survival training exercises at Stead Air Force Base in Nevada. Pictured from left to right are: L. Gordon Cooper, M. Scott Carpenter, John Glenn, Alan Shepard, Virgil I. Grissom, Walter Schirra and Donald K. Slayton. Portions of their clothing have been fashioned from parachute material, and all have grown beards from their time in the wilderness. The purpose of this training was to prepare astronauts in the event of an emergency or faulty landing in a remote area.

Forty-five years ago today on May 24, 1962, Scott Carpenter went on to fly the second American manned orbital flight. He piloted his Aurora 7 spacecraft through three revolutions of the Earth, reaching a maximum altitude of 164 miles. The spacecraft landed in the Atlantic Ocean about 1,000 miles, about 1,609 kilometers, southeast of Cape Canaveral after the 4 hour, 54 minute flight.

Image credit: NASA
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Haha. Awesome.

Extra amusing as a couple weeks back my mother-in-law was joking around and said I looked like "one of those Middle-Easterns" with my three days worth of facial growth.

Add to that the fact that when I was in high school back in Florida I was always getting mistaken for being hispanic (Cuban usually).
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw View Post
      Haha. Awesome.

Extra amusing as a couple weeks back my mother-in-law was joking around and said I looked like "one of those Middle-Easterns" with my three days worth of facial growth.

Add to that the fact that when I was in high school back in Florida I was always getting mistaken for being hispanic (Cuban usually).

YOU'RE NOT HISPANIC!?

BUT I THOUGHT...! AFTER ALL THIS TIME! WAaaaaaaaaah!

*ahem*
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Yeah, sadly my name is Jesse, no Jesús.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
        X