Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod questions...

Hello,

Just got me an iPod (80 GB), and it is a nice device (I also like iTunes from browsing the albums), but have found something odd: If two different artist have an album with the same name (e.g. Greatest hits), they are listed in one album entry on the iPod.

But that is a minor thing, easily solved by making sure album names are unique. I do have some issues regarding video though...

iTunes refuses to see a number of .avi files (divx and xvid), preventing me from uploading them to the iPod. I have tried with Super, but it also fails to convert the files The files play back in Windows Media Player (I have the latest fddshow installed) but not in Quicktime. For playback in quicktime, it wants to connect to the internet (but I don't have a connection on that PC).

Any suggestions?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You need qucktime plug-ins for the codecs to view them in itunes. No time to look them up at the moment. I have not tried to transfer a file of a non-native codec yet but theoretically it will convert.? For example the following allows OGG/Vorbis files to play. http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/
    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 24 May 2007, 05:58.

Comment

Yes, I had problems in finding plugins (as I cannot have them download automatically).

But I found this site:
      Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Generally on my iTunes if the 'Album Artist' is different then two albums with the same name will be split into the two albums.

I have been obsessively filling in the correct artist in all my compilations and soundtracks and as long as the Album Attists is set right it normally puts them into the right album again.

Of course, some directories just refuse to appear in iTunes at all....

Uberlad
        -------------------------
        8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
        5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Originally posted by uberlad View Post
          Generally on my iTunes if the 'Album Artist' is different then two albums with the same name will be split into the two albums.
          There were albums with a blank album artist, and albums with a correctly filled in album artist. But one only sees it after synchronizing.

I have been obsessively filling in the correct artist in all my compilations and soundtracks and as long as the Album Attists is set right it normally puts them into the right album again.
          Same here. But apparently depending on the MP3 software you use, one doesn't get all the fields. Getting the artwork for the various albums also was quite cumbersome (without an internet connection), and WMP distinguishes between the type of artwork (cover front, cover back, ...) whereas iTunes doesn't (it is "custom")... So I'm now also working on those...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

You can edit the album artist with any id3 tag editor - either use iTunes' built-in editor or my favorite, the free mp3tag.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yes, I was referring to other more exotic fields.

But still no luck. I have 3 albums entitled "Greatest Hits", the album artist is filled in and differs, as are all other fields. Yet when I browse on my ipod to "Albums", there is just one "Greatest Hits" entry, and it holds all tracks from the 3 different albums (in order though: first those from the first artist, then from the second, ...).

Any thoughts?
              (I could add the artist name in the albumtitle, but don't find that an elegant solution)

Jorg
              pixar

Comment

The "Album Artist" and a few other sorting fields are relatively new to iTunes and I'm not sure they've been properly implemented in the iPod software. Just guessing as I only own a Shuffle
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I think they're correctly implemented - all my library is completely tagged (with album covers, album artists, etc.), and itunes sorts them perfectly.

In mp3tag, the "sort by artist" tag is called PERFORMERSORTORDER, there are other fields like that.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yes, iTunes uses the "new" fields fine. A few of them were actually already present and being used by iTunes for sorting - just not available in the UI. However, it was the iPod software itself that I was questioning.

So, does an iPod now separate like-named albums if the album artist field is filled in properly? For VJ it doesn't seem to.
                    Last edited by Jessterw; 24 May 2007, 11:55.
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Perhaps you'd have fun with Rockbox (alternative firmware, plays more formats and perhaps handles your needs sligthly better)

Comment

I suprised there is an alternative firmware... , but I'm not going to venture it...

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Regarding the movie conversion, I think it has something to do with the decoder...

I can play back files just fine (in WMP, but also in other players: VLC, ...). But Super breaks of in the middle of its conversion (I have now downloaded the latest version, I was working with the release from January). I downloaded the plugins, but the divx one doesn't help, and I don't know how to install the xvid one (it is a .dmg file)...

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

There's even iPod Linux!

Comment

I hate iPods from a business point of view. Don't have then plugged in when you turn on if you have a network drive mapped to H: .
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X