Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn off new hardware notifications in XP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn off new hardware notifications in XP?

We have a client that is getting a upgraded version of her kiosk software. The software is Director based and overlays the full screen. Previously users put images into it from a floppy from a Mavica camera (yes I know). Now it's going to be a digicam connecting via usb. For the hospital supplied camera this will be fine. If the user uses their own camera it's going to pop up the new hardware windows and give people a way to get to the start menu and thus the desktop.

So the big question. Gurm and I are doing a lot of research on this and so far have gotten zip. Is there a way to turn off the detecting new hardware, installing new hardware notification bubbles and have it all happen in the background?

Thanks!
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Disabling Balloon tips:
    Gathering the right people, content and resources, IT Pro gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges

Edit: found some better info altough WinXP embedded: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms940877.aspx

I got no idea how to disable hardware detection.
    Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
    Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
    Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

See the thing is, we don't want to disable hardware detection. We want to do it SILENTLY. Install the drivers if you have 'em, and if not just do NOTHING. No popups, no wizards, no NOTHING.

From everything I've read, it just can't be done. There doesn't seem to be any way in normal XP to suppress the found new hardware wizard's windows.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

So...disabling plug & play service while your digicams are connected doesn't do a trick, I guess...

Comment

You can do it via a wmi script. Sadly firefox bombed out before I could copy the link and I haven't been able to find it again.

I'm sure your googling skills are better than mine though.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I saw a script that kills the windows. That's great, except the task bar blinks up momentarily, and remains on top of the active window, allowing the users to 'get into' the system. Oops!
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

...hey, how about "sizing" the task bar so that when it is up, it's just barely noticible and then lock it...and put it on the top where people aren't used to....just until a better solution comes along!

cc
              Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 25 May 2007, 13:16.

Comment

Or...killing/disabling explorer and loading your app at startup time?

Comment

I'm with Nowhere: There is no reason for explorer to be running on a locked-down desktop. Simply disable explorer on startup. We do this with quite a few images where I work.
                  Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
                  X