Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you afraid to fly?

Don't ever go THERE then.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Reminds me of the old Hong Kong airports runway 13, which was enough to make you barf your gizzard

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 May 2007, 19:20.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
      Reminds me of the old Hong Kong airports runway 13, which was enough to make you barf your gizzard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIyRUMhTjQ0
      And on top of that, most people on the web when watching/commenting videos of this runway usually go something like "HA, HA, look, what a stupid pilot!" :/

Comment

Amazing landing, that one in Honduras (such a low approach, and there was a wind blowing from the left...).

The old Hong Kong airport RWY13 was very difficult, mainly due to heavy crosswinds. Pilots had to have a special permit to land there (they needed additional training). Currently, there are still a number of airports with a similar requirement; I believe the highest elevated airport also requires a special permit (altitude alters the normal take-off and landing speeds).

This one is also impressive:
        landing a 747 on a 50 feet wide runway.

But yes, people see these things and don't realize the skill needed to pull it off...

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Before they reclaimed as much land as this shot shows, it was impressive landing in a 747: I did it twice. At the time, except for where the terminal and fuel stores are, the width of the island was about 15 m on either side of the runway, so the wings were literally over the Indian Ocean on both sides for at least half the landing. The runway was 2000 m long (now extended to 2400 m), which was about the minimum for a 747, so the pilots approached to touch down as soon as possible then, without stopping, they shot to the turning apron at the other end of the runway, whizzed round just metres from the water then taxied back along the runway to the parking apron outside the terminal. From the upper deck, I couldn't see any land during the whole manoeuvre except when passing the terminal.

Another hairy one is Gibraltar. This photo was taken from the top of the rock which shelters the right hand part of the runway from N. winds, but the left hand part is on reclaimed land which gets the full benefit of crosswinds. And, Yes, that IS a main road cutting across the runway!!!
          Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
            And, Yes, that IS a main road cutting across the runway!!!
            I've been there... Fun thing is: there is a traffic light, but yes, the road crossing is actually the runway. I doubt many people will cross that red light.

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
              I've been there... Fun thing is: there is a traffic light, but yes, the road crossing is actually the runway. I doubt many people will cross that red light.

Jörg
              Get some Sheffield drivers they'd do it. 747 whats that ??? Won't bother me I thick.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
              X