recommend me a new linux PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend me a new linux PC

So 6 months or so back, my linux box crapped out on me. It was an athlon tbird on an asus a7v133 (kt133a chipset).

I'm not sure what's wrong with that rig (it started locking up shortly after boot...regardless of OS), but it's done it's time, so I'd rather replace the parts rather than diagnose it.

What I'm looking for:

-STABLE

-cheap - it doesn't have to be a speed demon by any stretch. I only play with this box on occasion.

-compatible - I want it to have components that have good linux driver support

parts in question -

-motherboard - good chipset, stable, compatible. I'd be happy with on board sound and NIC as long as the linux support for it was good. SATA controller a plus. If there's such a thing as on board 802.11n, that's a big plus too.

-1GB of RAM - I'd be happy with something cheap and reliable, so long as it's not terribly slow.

-CPU/HSF - 64 bit CPU, cheap. Dual core a plus, but not required. I also don't want a loud HSF.

-PSU - whatever is reliable and required to run this machine

-video card - can be on board, but ultimately I'd want something compatible with the board that has good linux support, and that can run beryl without issue

Recent I built this one for a neighbor for general purpose computing and he's been quite pleased running XP SP2 and Ubuntu.

(NewEgg links);

ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150: $86.99
    Athlon 64 X2 4200+: $97.99
    1G Crucial DDR2: $70.99
    ENERMAX Noisetaker II EG701AX VE(W) SFMA: $125
    SAPPHIRE 100199L Radeon X1950GT 256MB: $134.99
    2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (320G): $$79.99 each
    Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower:
    $139.99

This case has no less than 4 big cooling fans, and they're pretty quiet.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 May 2007, 21:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

ASUS M2NPV-VM Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150: $86.99
      I'm currently iffy about buying Asus, but something along those lines might work.

Athlon 64 X2 4200+: $97.99
      Overkill. I'd rather do this for $40:

1G Crucial DDR2: $70.99
      Sounds good.

ENERMAX Noisetaker II EG701AX VE(W) SFMA: $125
      That's way more than what I need. A lower end, stable PSU is fine for this box.

SAPPHIRE 100199L Radeon X1950GT 256MB: $134.99
      Again, overkill for this situation. I don't need that much power.

2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (320G): $$79.99 each
      Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower: $139.99
      I'll likely reuse an old ~60GB HDD for the time being.

This case has no less than 4 big cooling fans, and they're pretty quiet.
      Gonna reuse the case too.

Comment

UR no fun
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Besides drop ati when it comes to linux, nvidia has better linux support.
          Go for 7600 or 8600 instead.
          JD
          Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Buy motherboard with recent Intel chipset with integrated GFX...they got even better Linux support than Nvidia.

PS. Or...buy a Dell?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino View Post
              So 6 months or so back, my linux box crapped out on me. It was an athlon tbird on an asus a7v133 (kt133a chipset).

I'm not sure what's wrong with that rig (it started locking up shortly after boot...regardless of OS), but it's done it's time, so I'd rather replace the parts rather than diagnose it.
              hanging after the post screens?
              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
                Recent I built this one for a neighbor for general purpose computing .......

General purpose computing, huh?

You don't want to know what I still use for video editing at home..... .

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                  Buy motherboard with recent Intel chipset with integrated GFX...they got even better Linux support than Nvidia.
                  Show me a good one and i'll consider it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido View Post
                    hanging after the post screens?
                    IIRC, it would die mid boot (regardless of the OS I was booting, or the media I was booting from).

Again, not worth my time to diag, and it really deserves an upgrade anyway.

Comment

Any recent mobo made by Intel themselves with integrated GFX and features that you like?

(probably the fastest/best would be mobos with integrated GMA X3000 GFX = G965 chipset; here's basic info about Intel GFX and their support under Linux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA )
                      Last edited by Nowhere; 22 May 2007, 11:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere View Post
                        Any recent mobo made by Intel themselves with integrated GFX and features that you like?

(probably the fastest/best would be mobos with integrated GMA X3000 GFX = G965 chipset; here's basic info about Intel GFX and their support under Linux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA )
                        Well, I'd be looking at this CPU for 64 bit support:

And one of these $100+ boards

How does this perform as compared to the AMD setup above (with the CPU I have picked out)?

Comment

IMHO - wait for Celeron 420 (out in 2 weeks) for 39$: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...re.2C_65_nm.29
                          Perhaps even Pentium E2140, dualcore for 74$: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...re.2C_65_nm.29

Comment

Now, is AMD's 64 bit linux support any better or worse than Intel's?

Comment

When it comes to CPU/mobo things shouldn't be much different... (BTW, one of the reasons why I'd buy also mobo made by Intel is because they have Intel NIC usually, which are top notch). The reason why I'm suggesting Intel is mostly their open source, most hassle free, fast enough for Beryl, itegrated GFX...

PS. And isn't having best supported (or so I've heard) under OSX hardware a nice bonus?

Comment

Working...
                              X