cpu trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu trouble?

I have been having steady crashes lately and it has been suggested that my celery300a may be crapped out.What is a good(inexpensive) replacement?sounds like the K2 w\3Dnow may be the way to go with turbo drivers coming out for g400.Is the K2 reliable?overclockable?I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    thanks,gobrob
    current:300a@450 a-bit bh6,64m pc100, 6.4fujitsu,g400 16m vannila,awe64,40x Sony....

If you are using thermal paste (you should) I suggest to check if it´s not dry. That´s very frequent with poor quality compounds.

I find it hard to believe that a "fried" processor would even boot, or that a selective level of damage would be possible.

But if you are willing to replace the CPU, if you already have a slot1 motherboard, I guess PentiumIII is the way to go. Get a 450 and overclock it, your BH6 should do the work fine.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 10-08-1999).]

Comment

Hi, gorob!

I can't say I know what's wrong with your Celeron (especially without more info), but I am a K6-2 (333) owner (see below).

There are 2 things you need to be aware of before you purchase a new CPU to use with your Matrox G400.[list=1][*]The current TurboGL drivers are only for the P-III and the Athlon. There is no support for the P-II, Celeron or K-6 2 or K-6-3. It is unclear if support for those processors will be implemented at all, or when, if so.
      [*]S(uper) S(ocket) 7 motherboards are notoriously unstable... the processors are good, for what they are, but there are way too many better CPUs for the same or slightly higher prices to make it worthwhile to jump on the SS7 bandwagon this late in the game. You'd practically be better off just getting a higher-speed Celeron, if you want to save cash, or just upgrading to a P-III if the TurboGL is really important to you.[/list=a]
      Hope this helped.

------------------
      Holly
      "...\Till the one day when the lady met this fellow\ And they knew that it was much more than a hunch.." What? System specs? Oh, yes, right...Soyo 5EMA, K6-2 333, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, Maxtor 7GB HDD, LS-120, Promise Ultra33 EIDE controller, Diamond Monster Sound MX300, HP 8100i CD-RW, Hi-Val (Nakamichi) 16X 5-disk CD changer, Win98 +SR1...oh yeah, and a Millennium G200 8MB SGRAM.

Holly

"All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open ended program of procreative racial deconstruction."
      -Jay Bulworth

Comment

I like my AMD chip plenty, but if you've already got a Slot1 board, and your CPU is truly blown, I'd just get a new CPU. Really, I mean it. You could get another 300A for about $50. Maybe $60 for one guaranteed to OC. Then there's a PIII, which is more, but you still don't have to buy a new MB.

-Wombat

------------------
        K6-2/350@400, 503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, Millenium G200, RH6.1 w/ 2.2.12-20, Win98, and too many classes

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If you get an amd you will need a new mobo too
          just buy another celeron, they are pretty cheap now.

Comment

Working...
          X