• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebanon hitting AQ sympathizers in Palestinian camp

Wow....didn't see that coming

Link....

Lebanese army lays siege to camp

Lebanese troops have tightened a siege of a Palestinian refugee camp where a group suspected of ties to al Qaida is hiding.

They pounded it with artillery a day after the worst eruption of violence since the end of the 1975-90 civil war.

The death toll from Sunday's violence climbed to near 50, but it was not known how many civilians have been killed inside the Nahr el-Bared camp on the outskirts of the northern port city of Tripoli, the scene of the heaviest fighting. No new deaths have been reported.

Lebanese officials said one of the men killed on Sunday was a suspect in a failed German train bombing - another indication the camp had become a refuge for Fatah Islam militants planning attacks outside of Lebanon. In the past, others affiliated with the group in the camp have said they were aiming to send trained fighters into Iraq and the group's leader has been linked to al Qaida in Iraq.

Hundreds of Lebanese army troops, backed by tanks and armoured carriers, surrounded the refugee camp early on Monday. M-48 battle tanks unleashed their cannon fire on the camp, sending orange flames followed by white plumes of smoke. The militants fired mortars toward the troops at daybreak.

An army officer at the front line said troops directed concentrated fire at buildings known to house militants in the camp. He said troops also had orders to strike hard at any target that directed fire back at them.

"Everything we know that they were present in has been targeted," he said.

A spokesman for Fatah Islam, Abu Salim, warned that if the army bombardment did not stop, the militants would step up attacks by rockets and artillery "and would take the battle outside Tripoli"."It is a life-or-death battle. Their aim is to wipe out Fatah Islam. We will respond and we know how to respond," he said.

Earlier another refugee camp, Ein el-Hilweh in southern Lebanon, was tense after Lebanese troops surrounded it and armed militants went on alert.

At least 27 soldiers and 20 militants were killed on Sunday, Lebanese security officials said. But they did not know how many civilians had been killed in the camp because it was off-limits to their authority.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

didn't we have a discussion a year ago about how Lebanon didn't have problems with militiants/insurgencies?
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Yes we did. It was BS then with Hezbollah and it's BS now with AQ. Hezbollah is just a junior version of AQ and the sooner everyone gets the message the better.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 May 2007, 13:53.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Weird, the word 'massacre' failed to appear in that article..
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

i'd be interested to read some of llc's or sd's perspective. guys, you wanna share?
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

no photochopping required...

Comment

Israel’s UN ambassador on Monday accused moderate Muslim and Arab leaders of standing by in “eerie silence” while Islamic extremists terrorize people around the world.

“We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it’s a crusade. When Jews kill Muslims, it’s a massacre. When Muslims kill Muslims, it’s the weather channel. Nobody cares,” Ambassador Dan Gillerman told reporters at a press lunch at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York.

Comment

Well, Dan Gilerman is one of the (very) rare few who actually to their job right. We need a hundred or so more like him in the government.
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
                  i'd be interested to read some of llc's or sd's perspective. guys, you wanna share?

Attached Files
                  /meow
                  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                  Asus Striker ][
                  8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                  Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Things Fall Apart, Again

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
                      yup
                      /meow
                      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                      Asus Striker ][

Comment

first bomb in east beirut (christian), second in west beirut (sunna), third in druze sub-burbs...

what do you think that means?
                        /meow
                        Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                        Asus Striker ][

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat View Post
                          first bomb in east beirut (christian), second in west beirut (sunna), third in druze sub-burbs...

what do you think that means?
                          Time to get a resident visa for anywhere but there?
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X