Why HDMI stinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why HDMI stinks

HDMI, as we've pointed out elsewhere, is a format which was designed primarily to serve the interests of the content-provider industries, not to serve the interests of the consumer. The result is a
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

meh. the grass is not always greener on the other side. i'm still trying to figure out why someone on an audio forum is bitching about the video aspects of the standard. he should have tackled the audio aspect first. I also would have loved to see him mention that HD-SDI cannot do 1080p. but... i digress.

realistically, HDMI is well suited for the average user. his gripes seem to be in the "OMG PROFESSIONALS USE THIS WHY CAN'T I" category rather than grounded in reality.

he forgets that broadcast has a reason to. namely, television studios. and in filming. where they have a really damn good reason to run cable for 300'. of course, they also introduce things like Genlock and other fun standards. the equipment and protocols are designed around features like that - not around what makes the consumers theater work.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

HDMI is still a b!tch. If you look at Yamaha receiver line, they're all HDMI 1.2a compatible, which is already old with 1.3 coming in. To make matters worse, mayny so called HDMI compliant receivers are/were incapable of correctly switching between HDMI sources.
      So far it seems like the good old 15 pin RGB D-sub and component RCA connectors still rock, probably better than HDMI.
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Maybe i should have written that artice

Personally I like the idea of hdmi it's like a digital scart lead.

But having consumers coping with version numbers like 1.1 1.2, 1.2a, 1.3 sucks.

They should just have used colour coding.

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX View Post
          HDMI is still a b!tch. If you look at Yamaha receiver line, they're all HDMI 1.2a compatible, which is already old with 1.3 coming in. To make matters worse, mayny so called HDMI compliant receivers are/were incapable of correctly switching between HDMI sources.
          So far it seems like the good old 15 pin RGB D-sub and component RCA connectors still rock, probably better than HDMI.
          I agree that HDMI is a piece of shit. And I also agree that it's total crap that it's being forced down the throats of consumers (go **** yourself sony). But...it is still better for doing what you want with it compared to what that ****wad proposed. If you are going to bitch about something, have your facts straight before you do it. If the best argument you can come up with is "well, they use this standard for broadcast work" then you are wrong.

not to mention - his bitch about cable length is actually bullshit. HDMI has room in it for vendors to use different transport mediums that allow longer distances. If you need range, it can be extended past 300' using fiber optic active extenders. They are supposedly HDCP compliant and, being as it is a 'pure' digital connection, it should not suffer much at long ranges.

as far as versioning... it's total garbage. it's why the Blu-Ray camp is having such a hard time and why third party studios seem to be favoring HD-DVD right now. making shit "optional" and having too many versions of the same thing on the market leads to increased complexity and lowers compatability. It's going to cause problems if it keeps going.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Why DVI rocks - cuz I just found an $80 USD (overpriced, but still) Monster Cable one at a surplus store for $15 CAD

the 4M one http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1868
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
            X