Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another reason to chlorinate the gene pool....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another reason to chlorinate the gene pool....

Link....

Hundreds Click on 'Click Here to Get Infected' Ad Discussion at PhysOrgForum
    The fact that 409 people clicked on an ad that offers infection for those with virus-free PCs proves that people will click on just about anything.

People will click on anything. That was evidenced by the 409 people who clicked on an ad that offers infection for those with virus-free PCs. The ad, run by a person who identifies himself as security professional Didier Stevens, reads like this:

Drive-By Download
    Is your PC virus-free?
    Get it infected here!
    drive-by-download.info

Stevens, who says he works for Contraste Europe, a branch of the IT consultancy The Contraste Group, has been running his Google Adwords campaign for six months now and has received 409 hits. Stevens has done similar research in the past, such as finding out how easy it is to land on a drive-by download site when doing a Google search.

In a posting about the drive-by download campaign, Stevens says that he got the idea after picking up a small book on Google Adwords at the library and finding out how easy and cheap it is to set up an ad.

"You can start with a couple of euros per month," he said. "And that gave me an idea: this can be used with malicious [intent]. It's a way to get a drive-by download site on the first page of a search."

First, Stevens bought the drive-by-download.info domain. .info domains are notorious for hosting malware, he points out. Then he set up a server to display the innocuous message "Thank you for your visit" and to log the requests.

No PCs were harmed in this experiment, he emphasizes. The site is benign and has never hosted malware or other scripts or code. Then he started the Google Adwords campaign, using combinations of the words "drive-by download" along with the ad, which links to the drive-by-download.info site.

Next, he sat and waited … for six months.

Over that period, his ad was viewed 259,723 times and clicked on 409 times, for a click-through rate of about .16 percent. The experiment cost him $23, or 6 cents per click/potentially infected machine.

Of the 409 people who clicked, 98 percent were running Windows machines, according to the user agent string, which is a text string that identifies a Web site visitor to a server. The agent string typically includes application name, version, host operating system and language.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Pfft! As if I'm gonna click on your link, Doc.

Seriously though, I read that a few days ago. I have to wonder just how many of those 0.16% of viewers simply mis-read it. To say 99.84% of viewers got it right doesn't sound too bad, but I suppose you then have to scale that down by the % that any advert would normally get clicked...dunno what that is though.

I often sort out PCs for people who aren't PC literate themselves and have got into a bit of bother. A bit of education (and preventative maintenance) from me and the problem doesn't tend to recur. Just this weekend I had to reformat/reinstall a friends PC as the damage was too bad to recover from. HOWEVER, there's no way you'd want this guy removing from the gene pool. If you need a friend, or needed your car fixing, or a favour, or whatever, I'd rather visit this guy than a dozen pc-literate people I can think of.
    FT.

Comment

Oh, c'mon. I'd click a link like that just for fun. It's not like I'm really going to get infected. The 409 hits he got (four hundred and nine) barely amount to anything more than statistical error in this day and age. I can get 400 hits in a half hour by posting a picture of my nose on MySpace.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
      X