Linux question--I am newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux question--I am newbie

Just installed Linux redhat first time in my life.
    Well Windows98 didn't boot anymore so I used win98 boot disk tand tped fdisk /mbr, so of course I lost lilo and now I have hard time to figure how to load linux again. I didn't make a boot disk in linux.

--
    Arto
    --
    Cirrus

Well, you need to make a boot disk. Not much else I can tell you. There might be rescue disk images available for download, and you could make the boot from that.

-Wombat
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ok, not too hard.

You need a boot floppy (linux) to start the system and then mount the device where your system is - ie /dev/hdXXX

Otherwise, even easier ... use a DOS boot floopy (just SYS.COM a clean floppy) with LOADLIN.EXE on it. You will also need a kernel on the floppy - you can get both these off the net or you redhat CD. Doesnt matter about which kernel - simpler is better.

Then boot using the DOS floppy and do a:
      loadlin kernel.file /dev/hdXXX ro

This will get you up again. Then copy your actual kernel to the floppy and it can be an emergency boot device from now on....

bert
      G400 32 D/H, PIII650@840, ABIT-BE6II, MX300

Comment

Thanks, got it running.

--
        Arto
        --
        Cirrus

Comment

Working...
        X