F'ed up crap. Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F'ed up crap. Advice?

So the past few months people have been calling my parents house demanding money. My parents don't owe them anything, it's some sort of scam. They just hung up on them before, but today they called and correctly said my dad's SSN and said he owes $70,000.

My dad called the police and they filed a report and told him if something does happen they can reference back to the report.

My bro is heading over there now to setup credit report checking and stuff like that for them.

Any additional advice?

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

I'd worry about someone cloning your details and borrowing cash in your name, but I doubt that any reputable company would act in the way that you have described. ID theft scares me!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

From what I've seen, that's a large amount. Usually these scammers want $500 or less, an amount that you won't go to the trouble of suing them about.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Next time they call, tell them that you are recording the conversation, demand written evidence of the owed money (records etc), and that if they don't provide it you don't want them to call you again because its harassment.

Comment

Call the FTC. Yes, the Federal Trade Commission.

They are required to provide you, IN WRITING, proof of the alleged debts. AND they are obligated to provide you with any and all documentation you require. They have 30 days to get it to you, after which time the debt is null and void.

Check if it's on the credit report. If it is - I doubt it will be - then IMMEDIATELY challenge it. That way not only are YOU demanding written proof, the credit bureau is as well.

If it is NOT a valid debt, sic the authorities on them. The FBI wants to know about this sort of thing, as does the FTC and the Better Business Bureau - both the one in your state AND the one in the state the scammers are working from.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by rylan View Post
            Next time they call, tell them that you are recording the conversation, demand written evidence of the owed money (records etc), and that if they don't provide it you don't want them to call you again because its harassment.
            No no, it's not just harassment. It's wire fraud, which is a federal offense carrying real jail time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm View Post
              Call the FTC. Yes, the Federal Trade Commission.

They are required to provide you, IN WRITING, proof of the alleged debts. AND they are obligated to provide you with any and all documentation you require. They have 30 days to get it to you, after which time the debt is null and void.

Check if it's on the credit report. If it is - I doubt it will be - then IMMEDIATELY challenge it. That way not only are YOU demanding written proof, the credit bureau is as well.

If it is NOT a valid debt, sic the authorities on them. The FBI wants to know about this sort of thing, as does the FTC and the Better Business Bureau - both the one in your state AND the one in the state the scammers are working from.
              My dad's credit report is clean and my bro has him setup now to monitor it.

Thanks for these other tips Gurm.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
              X