Prepare to be wiretapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepare to be wiretapped

because you MIGHT be downloading illegal content.

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/12471

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is pushing Congress to enact a bill dubbed the Intellectual Property Protection Act of 2007 that would outlaw "attempted" copyright infringement, according to a report by CNet. To justify criminalizing attempted piracy, the bill (PDF) states, "It is a general tenet of the criminal law that those who attempt to commit a crime but do not complete it are as morally culpable as those who succeed in doing so." In order to give law enforcement officers "access to the full range of accepted law enforcement tools when they investigate intellectual property crimes," the bill proposes to permit wiretaps to investigate citizens "attempting" to infringe copyrights. The legislation would also make computers "intended to be used in any manner" for copyright infringement subject to civil asset forfeiture.

CNet questions the respone the bill is likely to encounter in Congress. However, the site also quotes Texas Representative Lamar Smith—the ranking minority member on the House Judiciary Committee—as saying, "We are reviewing (the attorney general's) proposal. Any plan to stop IP theft will benefit the economy and the American worker. I applaud the attorney general for recognizing the need to protect intellectual property."
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Lobbying needs to be heavily restricted.

The bribery laws needs tightening.

MPAA & RIAA needs Nuking
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

OK, I am confused here: is this something liberals would be for or against? Conservatives? Libertarians?

I'm getting scared here. We (the Netherlands) have some sort of extremely stupid extradition agreement with the US causing us to hand over at first squeeck and the US never ever delivering us anyone. I think I gotta move to a safer country like, say, afghanistan or..uhm, ok, that was a bit cheap, but I _am_ getting scared.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid View Post
        Lobbying needs to be heavily restricted.

The bribery laws needs tightening.

MPAA & RIAA needs Nuking
        In fatc, if Iran would promise to only use nukes aganst MPAA & RIAA then, well, one would tend to get second thoughts, no?

where is that darn sarcasm emoticon...
        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I can't think of ANYONE that would think this is a good idea except big business and the Bush administration so they can do what they want with nothing standing in their way.
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Sounds like a law to give Big Brother ultimate rights to look over your shoulder, and take any of your computer equipment because they want to.

Comment

Working...
            X