Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista media center woes

Hello,

I'm having issues with the Mediacenter in Vista Ultimate.
    I can't get it to play back movies, it always gives an error message regarding missing files. As a consequence, I also can't watch tv with a tv tuner card.

I'm using the latest certified Parhelia drivers. Is it a limitation imposed by the Parhelia?
    If so, any suggestions for software that would allow of to watch and record tv?
    If not, any solutions?

Thanks

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

any specific error messages?

Edit - I do believe that Media Center in Vista required Aero support, but I'm not positive. I know that in XP is required custom drivers for media center to work. Seeing as the drivers Matrox is releasing are targetted towards XP and work in Vista only through legacy support, I would bet it is the source of the problem. Again, a specific error message and possibly information from the event log would go a long ways.
    Last edited by DGhost; 15 May 2007, 16:03.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

The only error message displayed is:
      "Video error: files needed to display video are not installed or not working properly. " It then suggests to restart Mediacenter or to reboot, but neither yields a result.

I found on the Technet forums (can't find the link now) that this error message can have 3 causes, one if which is video-driver related.

I'm guessing that is my issue (so I have already returned the TV tuner). Stupid though, I can play back anything in MediaPlayer, but I can't play back video in MCE.

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Yeah, it's a bugger.

I have perfect playback of all my .avi files in Media Player. Some, seemingly random, files will fail to play in Media Centre when it initialises the sound.

I have managed to get it down to only files with AC3 soundtracks but it's still very annoying indeed.

Uberlad
        -------------------------
        8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
        5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Originally posted by uberlad View Post
          Yeah, it's a bugger.

I have perfect playback of all my .avi files in Media Player. Some, seemingly random, files will fail to play in Media Centre when it initialises the sound.

I have managed to get it down to only files with AC3 soundtracks but it's still very annoying indeed.

Uberlad
          You have the latest AC3Filter?
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

It turned out to be a ffdshow issue - I probabaly need to try AC3 filter doing the sound whilst ffdshow pretties up the video.

I presume that AC3 filter can just pipe an AC3 track straight to my SPDIF? I tried it back before it supported Vista properly which caused my switch to ffdshow for everything.

Uberlad

Comment

I finally fixed the problem with my new TV computer build - it turns out I needed to disable the analogue speakers entirely before Vista would do AC3 passthrough properly. Now it works like a champ with just ffdshow installed.

Uberlad

Comment

Ahh yes, gotta love how user friendly all the integrated DRM is in Vista.

Comment

Working...
                X