Stacker system PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacker system PC

Do any of you guys think there is a market for a stacker (hi-fi seperates style) pc.

With PCi express and correct sized PSU for each module.

CPU + RAM + Integrated graphics + Space for 1 hdd and a media bay + Memory card (base unit)
    ++
    Graphics module with correct sized PSU (think Nvidia Quadro plex)
    ++
    HDD Storage module (think 3Ware SideCar)
    ++
    Video / Audio Module / TV / Integrated surround receiver / amp.
    ++
    Backup module

Would allow system to be upgradable, and without so many restrictions on things like card dimensions, really quiet systems could be designed.

E.g. Start with something like a mac mini, and then stack up the modules as required. And have it look tidy with minimal clutter.

Think this style of system will come with PCIe 2.0?

I'm frustrated that if i want to get a latest gen high power graphics card, I need to upgrade my PSU in my computer and it's still under warranty from Dell. There should be a solution so I don't have to do that.

Problem is that you'll never have enough pins. Every 2 years or so, they'll create new moduls with more pins yada yada, just like the switch from ISA to PCI, to AGP, to PCI-X & PCIe, cpu socket changes etc.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Ah ok, Just thought with PCIe the number of pins was reduced enough for this to happen as it is a serial bus. And that the bandwidth was sufficient for a good few years.

Comment

That kind of thing has been tried in the past, though I'm not sure the concept PCs ever hit the market. (it was some bookshelf computer system, IIRC)

I think it may be possible to do this using HyperTransport as the communication bus. I know it's fast enough for all the data you'd want to push (in the near future anyway), but I'm not sure what the bus length restrictions are.

It sure is an interesting idea. I think the problem for us is that the R&D costs would be prohibitive - in the tens of millions at least, I imagine. (not to mention marketing)

- Steve

Comment

When External PCIe hits I can see this as a viable option, especially for custom solutions like HTPCs. You sit the core module in your system that is completely passively cooled (low power CPU, ext. power, etc.), and then ePCIe that go to outboard video, storage, etc. so all the noise producing components are out of earshot.

Asus is releasing a PCI Express to PCIe adapter for laptops so you can run a full sized video card on your laptop, which will be very cool. So the idea is out there and being wored on, but only time will tell what will happen with it.

External PCIe 1.0 has been ratified and currently runs at 2.5 GT/s (billions of trasactions per second). The spec is basically a cable and connector format, but it's enough to run graphic cards off of.
          Last edited by Jammrock; 15 May 2007, 08:25.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
          X