Feminist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feminist

What is the male equivalent of a feminist? Does it actually exist?

That be Dean from Liberty Meadows

Last edited by Technoid; 14 May 2007, 10:16. Reason: ad link to site, fix image
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If you're looking for a nomer(?) for people that (a) believe woman are of equal value as men and/or should have equal opportunites and/or whatever and (b) are male, then, yes, that would simply be a feminist.
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Logically, it should be a masculinist, but the word cannot exist as all men are de facto masculinist and would not allow it in the dictionary!!!

However, the word IS masculinist, that the OED defines as:

A. noun. An advocate of the rights of men. E20.

B. adjective. Of or pertaining to the advocacy of the rights of men; characterized by or designating attitudes, values, etc., held to be typical of men. M20.

Interesting the word is early 20th century, whereas feminist is late 19th c.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Male chaunvanist is the closest I can think of.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

So I might be wrong in the sense that Fluff is not looking for a male believing in womans' equal rights but rather in mans' superiority. That would be a masculinist or male chauvanist [pig], most likely depending on ones POV.
            Of course, a masculinist is not _the_ opposite of a feminist (as it has two, male superiority and female superiority), so it's not a 'male equivalent' of a feminist.
            So, which is it you're looking for Fluff?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Désolé to contradict you, Umf, but compare the OED definition of feminist:

A. adjective. Of or pertaining to feminism or the advocacy of women's equality and rights. L19.

B. noun. An advocate of feminism or women's equality or rights. Cf. earlier FEMININIST. E20.

• femi"nistic adjective E20.

with that of masculinist in my earlier post. So the two are exactly gender opposites.

Hmmm! I was wondering what you call an advocate of gay equality or rights. Ah, got it: a queer! (Only joking!)
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks Brian,

I was looking for masculinist. But in the sense that this guy described it, and the OED. http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywo...dudepower.html

"The defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors. -Henry Becque"
                Last edited by Fluff; 14 May 2007, 09:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff View Post
                  What is the male equivalent of a feminist? Does it actually exist?
                  Yes, it's called a retrosexual.
                  "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Umf, sorry my question wasn't that clearly worded.

I was asking in terms of. What is the male equivalent of a ewe (sheep), and the answer is a ram.

I was curious as to whether it existed. I couldnt find maleist as a real word.

Comment

No prob.

Brian, I disagree. A feminist is about promoting _equal_ rights for women v0s-a-vis men. A masculanist is about promoting the rights of men. There's no sense of equality in the latter, there is in the former.

Edit: Fluff, having read the first three paragraphs of that dude, I'd say he is indeed a feminist.
                      Last edited by Umfriend; 14 May 2007, 12:29.

Comment

Isn't he an equal rights promoter?

BTW: Women and men aren't equal. If you think so, you're missing out on a lot of fun
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
                          Isn't he an equal rights promoter?
                          In other words: a feminist!

BTW: Women and men aren't equal. If you think so, you're missing out on a lot of fun
                          Indeed, there's other fun stuff you can do with women!

Comment

Working...
                          X