Teaching programming to a 9-year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teaching programming to a 9-year old?

Where to start? Luke is showing an interest in programming but I really don't want to put him off by exposing him to way too much detail too soon.

Any suggestions for a language/platform that will teach the right concepts yet still allow him to produce something fairly rapidly?

TIA

T.

PS When I started it was the days of the Sinclair Spectrum and the BBC Micro, so just turn it on and start writing BASIC...
    FT.

How about Logo?
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Thanks Umf. I did consider that, and have actually used it for various psych experiments (I mean I get the subjects to use it). It could be a good starter.
      FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend View Post

You can also try basic and later pascal or a language with similar syntax.

Remember though, anything higher than assembly is for n00bs. Real 1337 code with a hex editor and use pure machine code!
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I was thinking of suggesting Logo too.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Count me in. Erik started Logo a few months ago & I used it with the other 3 as well. Now both older sons are crackerjack programmers in C and the 'net languages. I credit Logo teaching them good first principles.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 May 2007, 07:32.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

A coworker is teaching KPL to his oldest kid:

This website is for sale! kidsprogramminglanguage.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, kidsprogramminglanguage.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeak ?

AFAIK it's an intergral part of "100$ laptop"

Comment

KPL looks neat!

I had another thought.

You may want to consider getting him a Lego Mindstorms kit.

With a Mindstorms kit he can learn a little bit about engineering as well as programming.

There's a visual programming language that you can start with, plus there's a module that will let you program the brick in C# (C# Express Edition is free). And now you can even design and program (and interact in real-time) with a Mindstorms robot using Microsoft Robotics Studio, which is free for hobbyist use.

I'd bet money that Doc's got one for his kid!
                  (If not, I'm sure it's on his list of things to buy when Eric is ready)

Personally, I think that personal robotics will be the next big growth industry. I think that robotics is at the point where computers were in the 60s and early 70s. I believe that sometime in the next decade we will reach critical mass in a bunch of convergent technologies and suddenly devices like the Roomba will be viable, useful and economical.
                  P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef View Post
                    I'd bet money that Doc's got one for his kid!
                    (If not, I'm sure it's on his list of things to buy when Eric is ready)
                    plus our district has a robotics lab starting in 6th grade. Not toys but real robotic arms & other such stuff. I feel so left out

BTW: KPL 2 came out and was renamed "Phrogram".

Downside: commercial

Link....
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 May 2007, 18:03.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yeah I started with logo and Apple IIe basic.

I wish I had mindstorms when I was a kid.
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions

By sheer coincidence this free tool Scratch for easy code free programming was just announced! There's also a link in that article to hackety hack
                        Last edited by Fat Tone; 15 May 2007, 02:24.
                        FT.

Comment

Working...
                        X