Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tv-tuner questions...

Hello,

I'm looking to add a TV-tuner to my system; I would like to be able to record in 720x576 (PAL), with hardware mpeg2 support.

How well do USB2 devices work? Or is PCI still the way to go?
    (quality / stability / performance)
    I'm in doubt whether I should get a PCI card (only useful in my fixed computer), or go with a USB device which I could also use on my laptop...

I'm looking at these devices: USB and PCI. I have a gift certificate for a store, but unfortunately they don't sell Hauppauge (who have a dual tuner solution with their WinTV PVR500mce).

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

From what I hear the USB devices work well. The even work at US ATSC (HD) standards. Just as long as there is not a lot of HDDs working on USB at the same time.

Anyway, I like the DVI Co and Hauppage tuners personally. Hauppage seems to be more popular in the European markets from what I hear, but DVI Co makes some great tuners for the Australian/European markets.

Dvico un site vous orientez dans le monde du multimédia: Son, vidéo, multimédia. Des articles complets, des guides et comparatifs produits

“Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks for the info...

Hauppauge is hard to find here (I have gift certificates from 2 different stores but neither can order Hauppauge). The only manufacturer I can easily order is Pinnacle.

Following this thread, I should find a card/USB thing that doesn't use Windows MCE but supplies its own software for recording and playback.
      (which definately rules out the two latest models from Pinnacle)

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

What about Terratec?
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
        X