Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIII-450 L2 Cache info???

Hi!

If you have read the "Overclocking PIII-450 survey" thread you will know that I have been trying to get my PIII-450 to do 600. So far without much luck!

Yesterday I got a new Haetsink/fan combo, the Global Win Cooltium VGS08 cooler. I has two 5000 rpm fans and a special heatsink with holes to cool the L2 cache chips. As I took my retail Heatsink apart to install the new heatsink I write down the part number of my cache chips. I just wondered if anyone (ALBPM, Guyver???) of you know if this chip type is good for 300 Mhz or if not how much it's rated at. Also if you have a CPU with the same cache chips and managed to get the magic 600 could you please post your memory, motherboard and cooler setup.

Here's the numbers:

SEC KOREA 928
    KM736V604AMT-4
    TLC337AA

I believe the middle line is the one containing the chip info, but as I'm not sure, I wrote down everything for you...

Also, if anyone has had improved OC'ability by removing the backplate and installing an extra heatsink/fan on the back of the CPU for extra cooling of the PCB and core, could you post your procedure including materials used.

Does anyone have a CPU core temp. reading for running 558 or 600 Mhz on a PIII-450? My BH6 can't measure core temp.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

------------------
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    MGA-G200 8Mb Mill. bios ver. 2.3, Abit BH6 mobo bios ver. LN, PIII-450@558, 192Mb PC-100 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Panasonic 7502 CDR.
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Hi Jake,

Well, you do have the high quality Samsung L2 cache on your P3-450. I could not track down the part number at the Samsung website.
    www.usa.samsungsemi.com/

You should not have any problems running at 600MHz. Try L2 cache settings up to 8. At a setting of 9 and above the cache is disabled and your system will run slower.
    The temp may get up to 35-40 degC depending on the amount of cooling in your system. Just make sure you have good airflow through your case or leave the side cover off.
    Also you can get copper L2 cache spacers for your GlobalWin heatsink from:
    www.2cooltek.com/index.html
    He appears to be out at the moment but usally has them under the hardware section.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hey Jake, I'd go with Paul's answer, as I haven't taken my PIII-450 that far apart as of yet. By default, my PIII-450 L2 cache timing is 8. I can push it up to 3 before it fails. Different progs show that my L2 cache is running at 301Mhz.

I took my PIII-600 (running @ 672) to work and placed it into my work system (replacing an old PII-350 (which I used to have at home running at 450Mhz) which was running @ 392Mhz) along with my G200 Mystique 8MB... Quite an improvement overall

Guyv - wishing he had his $600 back to spend on something with a little more speed improvements left in it's shell...

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
      - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
      - 6.1 Digital Audio
      - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
      - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
      - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
      - LS120 IDE Floppy
      - Zip 100 IDE
      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
      - NEC FE950
      - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Jake,

Sorry - missed the core temp thing.

I've got 2 system temp readings on my BE6 - one is the system, the other is the CPU temp as read by an external probe attached to the heatsink.

My PIII-450 @ 600Mhz reads a steady 38-39C most of the time, even running things like Seti or the Prime torture test.

Guyv
        Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
        - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
        - 6.1 Digital Audio
        - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
        - LS120 IDE Floppy
        - Zip 100 IDE
        - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
        - NEC FE950

Comment

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the info and advice. I think the www.2cooltek.com link is down right now or my ISP if FUBAR as usual.

Yeah, I think this puppy might really have the juice to go to 600 with those cache chips!

I am really hoping that it's my ancient BH6 mobo (And it's stupid 44Mhz PCI speed at 133Mhz FSB) that keeps me from running 600. I managed to get my CPU up to 580 on my friends BX2 at 2.2V but I could not measure core temp as he had one of the notorious '127 degree' faulty mobos. It refused to display any temp readings from the core diode and he had lost his termistor cable! (Just my luck!).

Why is hardware so f**ckin' expensive in Denmark? Damnit! A BE6 costs DKR1200 (about $170).

(Jake suddenly hears a voice in his inner ear! It's the Danish PM Poul Nyrup Rasmussen! "Remember that we have the best health care system in the World, Jacob!")

Well, blow me!!! I want cheaper Hardware!!!

You gotta let out some steam once in a while...

Regards,

Jake

------------------
          ----------------------
          MGA-G200 8Mb Mill. bios ver. 2.3, Abit BH6 mobo bios ver. LN, PIII-450@558, 192Mb PC-100 SDRAM, 17" Hitachi monitor, Plextor 40TS CDROM, Panasonic 7502 CDR.

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 09-29-1999).]
          ----------------------
          Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

What's the approximate performance gain in setting your L2 cache timing from 8 to 3?

------------------
            Geek in shining armor.
            "Saving the world with code."
            Grape Juice - Geek in shining armor.

Comment

I hate to say this, but that depends on what you are running, what your motherboard config is, etc....

In some cases, it can even slow your system down. The only way to be sure is to try it, test it, try some more...

I haven't seen enough of a difference to take it off of the default 8 for quite some time...

Guyv...
              Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
              - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
              - 6.1 Digital Audio
              - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
              - LS120 IDE Floppy
              - Zip 100 IDE
              - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
              - NEC FE950

Comment

Jake, I am in the same situation as you are. I am at 581 MHz with my 450 and cannot break the 600 barrier. I have shut my cache off and still could not achieve 600. I bet you are not L2 cache-speed limited, but RAM-speed limited. I bought some really hot PC133 RAM and could not get the fsb above 112 MHz. My MB (and probably yours as well) has buffers for the RAM. This reportedly makes the MB run very well with PC100, but makes it difficult to use PC133 RAM. I haven't tried vanilla PC133 yet.

Brian

------------------
                Win98SE, 450 PIII @ 581 MHz (2.0 V), ABIT BX6-2 MB, 128 MB Siemens PC100 SDRAM, G400 MAX, Diamond V2 SLI, Diamond MX300, CL Dxr3 Decoder, Adaptec AHA2940 w/uw SCSI, IBM 9ZX 9.1GB 10K UW SCSI HD, WDE 4360 4.3GB SCSI HD Supermicro SC750A case with PCP&C Silencer 275W PS, serious case cooling with four additional fans, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Comment

I think I had given Jake that info in one of the other threads when discussing the 6 buffer chips on the Abit BX6-R2 mobo, that I previously owned. I could use 6ns PC100 at up 129Mhz, but when I bought the pc133memory (mushkin) 133HSDRAM for my system it wouldna work worth crud, until I exchanged my mobo for the BE6.

All for now...

Guyv
                  Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                  - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                  - 6.1 Digital Audio
                  - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                  - LS120 IDE Floppy
                  - Zip 100 IDE
                  - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                  - NEC FE950

Comment

Guyver, did you try any other PC133 RAM in your BX6-2? If not, do you know for a fact that no PC133 RAM will work in this board? I would like to keep this combination unless there is no chance for me to use a 133 processor.

Thanks

Comment

Brian, I did not try any other brand, however if you go to mushkin.com and do some reading, there is a link to a website that did reviews on MB's and they could not get any PC133 ram to work properly in the BX6R2 (some worked better than others, but none actually hit 133). They pointed to the BE6 which is why I jumped onto that board.
                      Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                      - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                      - 6.1 Digital Audio
                      - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                      - LS120 IDE Floppy
                      - Zip 100 IDE
                      - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                      - NEC FE950

Comment

Abit replied to my query:

"The board is definitely compatible with PC133 memory. I have personally overclock PIII450 running at 133Mhz with Cosair PC133 memory. Sorry we do not responsible for any o/c results."

Harry Yen

Comment

Working...
                        X