Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home network for gaming

Anyone have any suggestions on setting up
    a home network system that would be mostly used for gaming?

Hey Surferpop,

Looks like your going full guns these days...GREAT!!

I found some really excellent guides over at Thresh's for setting up a home network.

First link is Windows networking:
    www.firingsquad.com/guides/windowsnet/default.asp

For gaming just set up the TCP/IP protocol. If you add the IPX/SPX and netBEUI as well,it just gets too confusing and windows spends too much time sorting out which protocol to use.

The other link is for setting up the LAN:
    www.firingsquad.com/guides/lan/default.asp

My wife told me what LAN stands for: Lots a Nerds...LOL

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

look on price watch. linksys 10/100 5 port switch and 2 10/100 pci cards for like 114.00

best deal yet and if a friend shows up he/she can jack in to your net work. i got lucky they were toosing out sopme hubs and work and i picked up a 12 port hp eithertwist pluss hub for free. its 10mps (20 full duplex) its not the fastest but it will due untill i get around to buying a 10/100 hub/switch.

------------------
      hey do you remember when it took your computer 10min to boot up into windows and we thought that was fast? or how about when you upgraded from a 486 dx33 to a dx2 66 and thought wow only 5 min to boot? those were the days now if it takes more than 1 min 30 sec we wonder what is wrong with our system.
      msi 6167 mobo k7 500 wk41 now at 650. 256 meg ram ,addtronics case w 250watt sp power supply, matrox g400, maxtor diammax 2500+ 10gig hd,10x aopen slot dvd, 3com 10/100 nic, sb live xgamer sound card, efecent networks dsl modem, dlink 701i dsl router/firewall, lots of controlers (joystick throttle rudder raceing wheel), 19in ctx monitor, logitech mouseman wheel usb, and klipsch promedia v2-400 speakers. win98 oem and win2k pro dual boot.

noel
      it's times like this that make me think of my fathers last words....

Don't son that gun is loaded.

Comment

ALBPM,
        My wife's beginning to call me a closet nerd/geek who's no longer in the closet.
        Oh well,I'm having a lot of fun so who cares.
        Thanks to you,Greebe and merchant2112 for the advice.

Comment

Working...
        X