Air conditioners kill hard-drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air conditioners kill hard-drives

hrm, wonder if its true. The logic seems sound.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Power Line conditioners and UPS units will mitigate this risk. Newer hard disks with their higher data densities and large caches may well be more susceptible.

Most SOHOs don't maintain their UPS units; more still don't even have them.
    Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Well, the website of MGE (UPS manufacturer) has a selector to determine how much you are at risk. It takes into account the presence of air conditioners, copiers, lift, heavy machinery (welding equipment), etc. While this could be marketing mumbo-jumbo (they sell power line conditioners and UPS units), I do think there is truth to it.

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

A good PSU should protect the PCs innards from surges, and should commit suicide on a surge before allowing it to pass into the PC. I also can't see how ACs would cause surges - wouldn't they rather cause power loss? (which a good PSU with large enough caps can also stabilize, if they're short)

And then, why only Hard Drives? And what about fridges? Or electric ovens? Or vacuum cleaners?
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az View Post
          A good PSU
          Bingo!
          But there are many "average" PSUs out there...

I also can't see how ACs would cause surges - wouldn't they rather cause power loss? (which a good PSU with large enough caps can also stabilize, if they're short)
          The compressor of an AC is not necessarily running all the time, but starts and stops depending on the needs. Esp. starting such a device usually causes some fluctuations (these also occur when for instance switching on a crt monitor, as can be seen on some UPS's).

And then, why only Hard Drives? And what about fridges? Or electric ovens? Or vacuum cleaners?
          I suspect this can be traced back to the PSU. Fridges are similar in that aspect to ACs (compressor that starts/stops); electric ovens draw lots of power, but don't usually have a sudden spike of power use. I guess common household devices can cope quite well with power spikes.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

I assume electric ovens to show a sudden spike when switched on, no?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

And vacuum cleaners not only draw lots of power, they are also an inductive load, like I assume ACs are (if this even makes a difference).

I still can't see where surges (voltage spikes, temporarily higher voltage) would be generated by turning something on.

Comment

I know it is one of the reasons it isn't recommended to put laserprinters on a UPS (depending on the technology behind the UPS)...

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Laser printers draw lots and lots of power (into the kilowatt range).

Comment

Laser printers draw lots and lots of power (into the kilowatt range).
                    My coworker put a watt meter on his new color laser and the results gave him nightmares
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I wonder how accurate of a measurement of power supply quality it is to test how long the computer stays on when unplugged.

Comment

And vacuum cleaners not only draw lots of power, they are also an inductive load, like I assume ACs are (if this even makes a difference).

I still can't see where surges (voltage spikes, temporarily higher voltage) would be generated by turning something on.
                        It's actually the turn-off that gets you

Running motors have stored kinetic energy in them, so when you want to stop the rotation, you have to take out the energy. Since motors are also generators, the energy removal generally takes the form of an electrical spike, since the inductive nature of the motor wants to keep current constant (and voltage will increase due to the resistance in the electrical feed wires).

So ACs, refrigerators, vacuums, fans (to a lesser extent), hair dryers, pumps ... all cause problems when they cycle off.

- Steve

Comment

Thanks steve.

Jon, It would be an accurate test of brown-out protection if you could measure well enough, but since it would only be fractions of seconds I doubt that you could

Comment

Working...
                          X