Good spam filtering service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good spam filtering service?

I've been using a number of spam filters on my computer with varying success over the years. Now that I'm using a smartphone the sheer volume of spam that makes me take out my phone is VERY annoying.

Anyone have any recommendation of a free or low cost online spam filtering service? Possibly something that will let you pull email from them instead of your host, allow you to log into their website and review what was blocked and release it and add addresses and domains to a whitelist. An interface akin to Enterprise TrendMicro or MailMarshall would be ideal.

There seem to be a slew of them out there such as Spam Arrest and Soda3 but they don't seem very upfront on their cost to you. I don't need to sign up to more services and get MORE spam because of it.

Thanks
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

A new mail address that you only give to real people. Have a separate address with web interface for registrations, shopping, etc., and don't put your private email up anywhere. I receive ~3 spams a week on my private address, which I've been using for a few years now. I get hundreds per day on my other one, though, which I don't check any more.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I have about 60 claymonkey email addresses that all funnel into my main one. I can then tell who has been selling my email addresses but that doesn't completely solve the problem.

Still if it comes to that I will change it again. I don't WANT to though.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Why not just disable the autoforwarders on the spammed addresses?
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I read of a very interesting spam filter the other day. Some people have their mail server forward all of their mail through Gmail (googlemail for you Brits), which filters the emails rather thoroughly, and then has Gmail forward the email back to the mail server which distributes it accordingly.

Granted, I don't think a very large volume of email would stay under Google's radar, but for a single person or small company it's a nice free way to get a very good spam filter.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock View Post
            .........which filters the emails rather thoroughly, and then has )Gmail forward the email back to the mail server which distributes it accordingly.

At work we pay McAfee service to do that. Works like a charm.

Used to get 200+ junks a day, down to several a week now.

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

I forward my servers mail through the ATT/Yahoo account which has bulk filtering. The bulk folder there 'learns' so if I re-mark an erroneously classified email in their web interface it does it right the next time. Between it and T'bird 2 junk mail is nowhere near the trouble it once was.
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I might have to try the google mail route.....

Comment

So I finally analyzed my spam folder in outlook. It turns out 95% of it comes from two locations. The first is my college alumni email forwarding address. The second is the email address for my drawing group. Which I stupidly listed as a proper address instead of (at) on my website after the fire. I still need both but they are both going to my gmail account which no one EVER uses anymore but i don't dare turn off. Outlooks email filters do just fine and when I start the drawing group back up I'll just pick a new one.

Comment

Working...
                  X