• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese factory made chemical in tainted medicine

Report: Chinese factory made chemical in tainted medicine
    By Associated Press
    Sunday, May 6, 2007 - Updated: 12:09 PM EST

NEW YORK - A Chinese factory was the source of a counterfeit chemical that killed dozens of people in Panama after it was used in human medications, a newspaper reported.

The New York Times [NYT] reported in its Sunday editions that records and interviews revealed the poison was first sold by Chinese companies that exported it as 99.5 percent pure glycerin. The source of the chemical was then obscured as middlemen in Spain and Panama removed the names of their suppliers from shipping documents _ a practice used by distributors to ensure continued business.

Panama’s government health agency used the substance to produce medicines, not realizing that it was diethylene glycol, a chemical cousin of antifreeze that can cause kidney and neurological damage if ingested.

The Times said investigators in four countries identified Taixing Glycerine Factory as the maker of the poison. That company’s certificate of analysis said the shipment was 99.5 percent pure, the Times reported.

The sale of the syrup was brokered by a unit of a state-owned business in Beijing, the article said. From there, it went to a distributor in Barcelona, Spain, and on to a dealer in Panama.

No one in China has been charged with causing the Panamanian deaths. An unidentified Chinese drug official told the Times that investigators tested the Taixing Glycerine Factory’s product and found it contained no glycerine. But a spokeswoman for the drug agency said the company had not broken any laws.

Wan Qigang, the legal representative for the factory, told the Times last year that the company made only industrial-grade glycerin. But more recently it has been advertising 99.5 percent pure glycerine on the Internet, the Times said. Wan declined to answer further questions.

Concerns about the safety of imports from China rose in the U.S. after pet food containing a Chinese ingredient was found to be tainted with another industrial chemical, melamine. The poison has killed or sickened an unknown number of dogs and cats and led to the recall of more than 100 brands of pet food.

© Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Why I'm weary of amnything made there, they have few controls and regulations in place, and little accountability.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

DEG and glycerin look different, flow differently and smell different. And what drug company would not analyse incoming chemicals? There is always a risk of labelling errors: I've seen many. It sounds like the Spaniards may have made a mistake relabelling: it happens frequently.
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Ouch... but doesn't Panama's government have a regulatory system, where someone is controlling the drugs before they are shipped out to the consumer?

BTW I got myself a new job, I ll be moving to Germany, lets see if anyone can guess where i will work out from the avatar. Starting in august...
        Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Originally posted by James_D View Post
          BTW I got myself a new job, I ll be moving to Germany, lets see if anyone can guess where i will work out from the avatar. Starting in august...
          That looks like a wheel hub of some sort.

Btw, no offence for my ealier comment, which I deleted. But you have to admit that your occupation in your profile is kinda funny.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I distinctly remember a Dutch company selling dirty glycerin (after having bought it from a Chinese company that certified the stuff was OK for medicin production) to a Haitian medical company causing at least 88 kids to die from coughing-sirup So here we had:
            1. A Chinese company issuing false certificates
            2. A Dutch company not checking and branding the stuff as sound for medicine production
            3. A Haitian company producing poison killing 88...

Apparantly, testing stuff is not that commonplace....
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Sheit, well it can also be an indication that 3rd world contries cant afford to test, so they kind of ignore it. And also its probably easier to get away when selling to a developing country than a developed country.

JD.

Zokes: hehe well i hadnt checked my profile for a long time..
              Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Working...
              X