Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista

Just received some bad news.

As you know, the IP v.4 is running out of numbers for the Internet. It was originally thought that 4 billion combinations of nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn would be amply sufficient, but this did not envision net-based thingamajigs, such as embedded devices and so on. About 10 years ago, a new system, called IP v. 6 was dreamt up to give every man, woman and child something like the possibility of an octillion IP numbers. Eventually, each piece of hardware (including mobile phones, printers, washing machines etc.) will have its hard-wired IP number.

The major systems used by ISPs and telecomms companies, such as made by Cisco, Siemens etc.) have been v. 6-compliant for the last 3-5 years, so the changeover from v.4 to v. 6 should be smooth, once the few remaining security issues have been resolved, and a seamless changeover will be due to start in summer 2008. I anticipate that large multinationals will be the first to change, so that each workstation in a WAN will be allocated its own IP number and the company's central server's DNS will do the routing within the company. This will make admin very much easier. The other advantage is that the overloaded nodes in the USA will be largely relieved of the traffic density as routing will be more direct because, effectively, each computer will be seen as its own server, even if it isn't one. This will even out the traffic throughout the world and Japanese and European nodes will be more solicited. Result: less loss of speed.

The crunch: There is only one version of Windows that is IP v.6-compatible. Yes, you've guessed it, Vista. This could render XP as archaic as PC-DOS within a couple of years or so, as Bill G rubs his hands as he smiles all the way to the bank.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Originally posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    The crunch: There is only one version of Windows that is IP v.6-compatible. Yes, you've guessed it, Vista. This could render XP as archaic as PC-DOS within a couple of years or so, as Bill G rubs his hands as he smiles all the way to the bank.
    Not entirely true. Vista is the only Windows OS that comes with it natively installed and configured. There are IPv6 patches for XP and Windows Server 2003 that allow IPv6 to be installed (adds teh components but does not install it).

This is pulled directly from the MS IPv6 FAQ:

Q. What versions of Windows provide support for IPv6?

A.
    Microsoft provides supported IPv6 implementations for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2), and Windows CE .NET 4.1 and later.

Windows Vista and Windows Server Code Name "Longhorn" (now in beta testing) support an integrated IPv4 and IPv6 implementation known as the Next Generation TCP/IP stack. For more information, see Next Generation TCP/IP Stack in Windows Vista and Windows Server "Longhorn".
    To install IPv6 on your XP/2003 box:

1) Control Panel -> Network Connections
    2) Right-click on any LAN/WLAN, or TCP/IP based connection, and select Properties.
    3) Click the Install button.
    4) Select Microsoft from the Manufacture side (by default this is the only option) and "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6" from the Network Protocol: side.
    5) Clik OK, wait, and you are done after the reboot (if needed).

Jammrock
    Last edited by Jammrock; 5 May 2007, 06:12.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Ehm WinXP has ipv6 support: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...n/default.mspx http://research.microsoft.com/msripv6/

There's only one reason to switch to Vista atm, DirectX 10 and only when you're a gamer.

Edit: Jammrock was faster then me .
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Would the fact that if you were be behind a router mean you could have any OS installed, as long as the router supported it, and did some sort of translation?
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

IPv6 has been included in XP since SP2. prior to that it was a seperate release, although it was included in the beta. they also released builds for NT4.0 and 2000 between 1998 and 2000.

biggest issues right now involve the fact that most routers are not IPv6 compatable and a lot of ISPs are not giving out IPv6 addresses.

interesting tidbit: microsoft has had builds of IE as far back as MSIE 4.0 compatable with IPv6.

anywhos.

Kei - I would disagree that DX10 is the only reason to go. there are quite a bit of platform changes that make it quite attractive. native support for hybrid drives is going to be a big deal for me in the future
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by gt40 View Post
            Would the fact that if you were be behind a router mean you could have any OS installed, as long as the router supported it, and did some sort of translation?
            It wouldn't surprise me if such routers where developed
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

IPv6 NAT to IPv4? IIRC they're already working on such devices. No demand for them... YET... so they aren't actually in production.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
              X